Sharks in Home Aquariums

My contacts at QM say they have a consistent source producing around 10-20/month which from what I know about shark breeding that's a ton of eggs! They told me that as long as demand continues, they will continue to provide them. They also said they are all over a month old and feeding well on Krill and PE mysis.

Can you find out how many they sell a month? Not only the white spotted but other sharks to. I am kind of curious.

10-20 per month is quite low when wholesalers like Sea Dwelling Creatures in L.A.. As a couple of months ago they(SDC) had 200+ Tank raised (Marbled "Cat Sharks") White-spotted Bamboo pups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lelCJweGTOE

Also keep in mind that there are literally thousands of pet and fish shops in North America. Most of which tend to by their stock directly from wholesalers.

Wow, thanks for reminding me why I don't do business with SDC. Their tanks look like crap. I bet a lot of those sharks died... the tanks are pretty cloudy. Anyway how many of these are left? I am aware of how many stores there are but only a small percentage should get these sharks in on a regular basis due to the fact that they require such a large system... not sure how ethical it is. The 20 bamboo sharks are down to 5 in qm, and these became available like 3 weeks ago.

This is fairly real time (at least it is updated several times per day). Internet is a wonderful thing. But whatever, I guess I know nothing... I am not going to get into some stupid ****ing match ;)
I watch groups of animals on QM all the time. I buy when there are enough of them left to get what I want, but not fresh off the plane.

Sounds like you've been far luckier with your stock lists than I've experienced.

I'm with Bill, I never believe a stock list.

The video of the white spotted bamboo sharks at SDC reminded me of what out holding tanks looked like at the aquarium in MN when we were breeding various bamboo species - more sharks that water. Haha.

As for wild caught pet trade sharks being sold into the US, I would say the number is in the hundreds per month. At this point none of the US captive breeding is going to make a huge in that figure. That being said, I know a handful of facilities that are focusing on specifically elsamo breeding for the hobby. The idea is to be able to take the full demand off of the more common species of wild caught sharks suited for the pet trade instead of just a few captive breed animals here and there.

As for wild caught pet trade sharks being sold into the US, I would say the number is in the hundreds per month. At this point none of the US captive breeding is going to make a huge in that figure.

Excellent points.

And if the idea of hundreds of sharks being sold per month in the US sounds high. Just think about all of the other marine fishes which are sold in the thousands per month sold in the U.S.

While Captive breeding of benthic sharks is really the only sustainable choice for private shark aquarists in the long term. It will take hundreds of elasmo breeding facilities to completely remove the need for importing wild sharks into the pet trade.

Did anyone realize almost all the sharks on ebay disappeared? The other day there was an epaulette, smoothhound, nurse and a couple others. Now there are only 2 sharks for sale by a person who sells random stuff. I doubt they all sold in a day.

How many of you have a problem with people trying to keep sharks especially the larger sharks like the black tip in the home aquarium. Personally I feel that these animals get much to big and need far too much room for any home aquarium. These animals should only be housed in the largest of commercial facilities.

What say you ?

Agree 100%

I have loved sharks since I was a little girl. The allure of having one swimming in my home every day is tempting, but my conscience would never let me actually have them. This is of course just my opinion on the matter, I love them too much to keep them captive in my home. If breeding programs would help diminish the need for wild caught I feel we should all be doing whatever we can to make this happen on a larger scale. Of course there is more to consider with sharks than say clown fish so its not as though the average person could have a home start up, but surely we could have more aquaculture facilities. Just a thought. Perhaps if I ever hit the power ball Ill start shark breeding programs across the country! LOL

The all out restriction of sharks available to private aquarists, by governmental law - isn't the answer. Such things need to be approached with common sense and some rational logic.

IMPO - Arizona's state law regarding private aquarists keeping sharks goes overboard. As in that state - a private aquarist needs a "wild animal" permit in order to keep a bamboo shark or a catshark in their home.

Private Aquarists are capable of doing so much. While the average private aquarist may not be able to keep much more than a small benthic shark like a bamboo, an epaulette, or a catshark. A wealthy private aquarist with deep pockets, and the required space may be able to keep more active requiem sharks like Whitetip & Blacktip reefs for life.

Of course there is more to consider with sharks than say clown fish so its not as though the average person could have a home start up, but surely we could have more aquaculture facilities.

It's it wouldn't be that hard for an private aquarist to breed sharks as some may think. As most of the small benthic sharks(bamboos, eppies, catsharks & small wobbies) can be bred in round ponds of only 6-8 feet in diameter. As Chris Avila of Canadian Marine Aquaculture, has pointed out. Presently has about 20 species of benthic sharks. And he started out 7 years ago - with just a couple of sharks.

Most bamboo sharks are like rabbits when it comes to breeding. Keep them wet and fed, sooner or later (assuming you have a male/female pair), you will have eggs... loads of them.

The trick with sharks is you need to think outside the tank. People try to figure out a tank size for them. Pre-made aquariums/tanks aren't the cost effective way to house sharks. Fiberglass or PVC pools work much better for 1/4 the price. I have a 1,200 gallon shark pool set up that I have less than $500 total into (pool and related filtration). I don't always have it up and running, but it does the trick when I need to house a shark or three.

Typical above ground swimming pools also work great fi you want something with more volume (3,000 - 15,000 gallons). I love using pools made by Intex. They are of great quality and suit the needs of many smaller ORV sharks (black tip reefs, bonnets, sharp nose etc...).

I have a 1,200 gallon shark pool set up that I have less than $500 total into (pool and related filtration). I don't always have it up and running, but it does the trick when I need to house a shark or three.

I knew that pools/ponds were cheaper. But I didn't realize that it is possible to set up a 1,000+ gallon pool and filtration for less than it would cost for a 180 gallon glass tank (no filtration).

So basically - if you want to keep sharks - forget getting the 180+ gallon glass or acrylic aquariums. Get at 750-1,200 gallon pool. The sharks will be happier, and you will have more money in your wallet.

Yep, Intex pools are ruggid and cheap.

Another route I've helped people set up is the American Farmland 8 ft x 2 ft pool. $350, a touch over 600 gallons and PLENTY of space for many of the various bamboo and cat sharks.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/american-farmlandreg;-round-tank-8-x-2-ft-plastic

17eab4223bc06ad758a1a37430705216.jpg

Zebra bullheads/Zebra horns are amazing looking sharks, but a gamble for the money. I've seen them as high as $3,000 (USD) for sub adults.

ZebraBullheadShark3.jpg

Sharks are great. I wish I could keep them, and once designed a huge 50,000 gallon "L" shaped tank that a house would have to be designed around. It was 10' deep, 10' wide, and each of the lengths were 30', I think.

Back