Show your Mangrove Systems

Bringing this thread back to share my new lagoon:

389049_10151932492720595_338030063_n.jpg

My Mangroves

My Mangroves

So today I picked up 13 red mangroves and some other cool looking macros (all of which I found at the beach today) to finally start up my 10 gallon display refugium. For lighting I'm running just some old household fluorescent lighting, planning on upgrading to two of these bad boys- http://i.ebayimg.com/t/High-power-E27-Spotlight-Bulb-7W-PAR30-LED-Pure-Whiteay-Light-Bright-/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/$(KGrHqF,!isE-j60SbgHBPz,Vr)NJQ~~60_35.JPG ($10 each on ebay.) I plan on misting at least once a day. I have the mangroves on the same photoperiod as the DT, but all other macros are on a reverse photoperiod to help stabilize the diurnal pH swing. I would also like to get my hands on some more black mangroves, as I successfully grew them in a previous system. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any healthy looking black mangrove seeds in the past 8 months so I will have to keep hunting. Will post future updates!

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 1
  • photo 1.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 3
  • photo 3.JPG
    0 bytes · Views: 3
I manually spray RO water on the leaves once a week, but I do it like its raining almost the entire bottle goes about half a gallon.

DSCN0054.jpg

Like everything is a cycle, expect to have limitations with your mangrove culture once they have reach certain height. Unless you have unlimited ceiling ....

DSC_1087.jpg

Frank. It appears you are utilizing natural sunlight in your mangrove culture, is this accurate ?

The mangroves are in superb condition ... Would you please post more detailed information/pictures of your Mangrove System ?

Thank you in advance.

About Sun light

About Sun light

Frank. It appears you are utilizing natural sunlight in your mangrove culture, is this accurate ?

The mangroves are in superb condition ... Would you please post more detailed information/pictures of your Mangrove System ?

Thank you in advance.

I used to work in a public aquarium by the sea, on those days I will see the mangroves from the distance every time I have to bring the sharks back in to the ocean farm for them to recover. (Sharks do poorly in captivity no matter what) Today living in Toronto Canada the sun is limited to the summer months.

All my Mangroves are using artificial light from MH to T5 and PCs

I posted a tutorial of one system which incorporates a plenum for NO3 reduction just go back a few pages here.

But I'm experimenting with this now:

Check it out

DSC_6819.jpg

This is a very dynamic system and offers the option to combine other types of macro algae together with the mangroves

DSC_6808.jpg

With some care and constant misting ( minimum once a week) of RO water these pods will become and impressive plant

DSC_7052.jpg

Red slime phase ( let this nuisance red slime go it will disappear on its own, please resist the temptation to combat with antibiotics or "treatments" that will aggravate the situation rather that fix it)

DSC_7050.jpg

These mangrove systems are awesome, wondering if stilt roots could be duplicated in the aquarium i think that would make a great display tank by itself. Frank your mangrove setup looks great, very inspirational and i would like to set mine up similar in the near future.

I have an update for you: as predicted the red slime is gone a now the chaeto is taking over

DSC_8136.jpg

This type of Mangrove set up must calm down the purist that call for a more efficient algae to drive away nasty byproducts from your aquarium water.

DSC_8139.jpg

Mangrove set up update

Mangrove set up update

I hope you can duplicate this very successful system

DSC_8154.jpg

Last edited:
Back