Show your Mangrove Systems

I just added a remote fuge as the mangroves were in the sump and grew to tall. This is what I did to give them some more room.

3 are about 5 mos old 3 are 3mos old and I just added 6 more today.

Frank what do you consider to deep a sandd bed to keep the mangroves from streching? How many t5's are you using above them? Any recomendations for a 20 long with 24" t5's, how many and how high you keep them above themangrove? Thanks for any help.

I just bought a bunch. The vendor said a "basic" rule of thumb is that if you can feel the heat on the back of your hand when you touch the top of the leaves, the lights are too close. since this is my first time with mangroves, I'm using their advise as a start. I'm also going wih the bamboo technique to get a really nice root system to form

Show your Mangrove Systems

+1 ?? Bamboo technique is unknown to me too

Sent from some device using some app

More for aesthetics than doing anything but I threw a few in my overflow and they were happy for a couple years until I moved and broke the system down.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367460288.652306.jpg

Death of a Mangrove

Death of a Mangrove

At what point, is it safe to say a mangrove is dead?

I've recently moved from a 90g to a 190g. In the process I moved my Mangroves from the refugium into the display. I planted each plant in a critter cage with Miracle Mud. Then, strategically covered the acrlyic boxes with liverock. Thus far, only one plant (out of 4) has dropped all of its leaves. Unfortunately, this was a larger plant too (about 20 leaves off of 4 stems and about 30'' tall).

[URL=http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/Charles_Dennison/media/New%20Office%20and%20Aquarium/SAM_3339_zps4cae43e7.jpg.html][/URL]

I think the need to be a Lil higher out of the water I had the same problem with mine and I raised em in the water level and it doin better no more leave dropping. Maybe place the root structure above ur rock and let it grow down, would make for a really cool biotope.

55 gal mixed reef 10 sps Dom.
10 gal soon to be anemone tank

Found some old pictures of my last tank. I still have the mangrove as they are going in my new build but you can see them in the background the reds and the black mangroves with there pneumatophores

dsc02613kp.jpg

dsc02614j.jpg

dsc02593u.jpg

Just added a few about 3 weeks ago... the are in my overflow and doing well so far.... I spray.them off twice a day with RODI water...
uploadfromtaptalk1371503061064.jpg

Here is mine, installed now there are three weeks, receiving water from the overflow box of the principal reef aquarium, and going out to the next level by gravity: my old caulerpa refugium.

The caulerpa refugium is lighted with a 11W 10000K led lumivie & mangrove refugium is lighted with a UFO 90W (150W but leds are powered @ a total of 90W) for plants.
cvid.jpg

Let's wait & see how it will grow... But who of you stopped his skimmer not to create a concurrent situation with the mangrove needs & caulerpa needs ?
EDIT: Forgot to say that there are 1/3 (one bottle, 3cm of deepth) of mineral mud, 2/3 of fine aragonite (6cm of deepth)

Last edited:
From this link: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/ac/feature/index.php
Who was really concerned by:
Be warned, though, their very elaborate and extensive root systems must be given due regard in the aquarium. Even a seedling mangrove can develop a formidable root system that can stress or damage glass or acrylic aquariums in as little as three years. Do not underestimate these roots by judging their modest leaf and branch growth above!
?

I saw fiew posts here about people keeping mangroves from more than 3 years in some aquariums and no issue related to the quote above.... can we consider this as a rumor or not ? I read that one of you probes his sand based on a regular basis but no more other feedback....

Thx in advance for your feedback
Louis

Found some old pictures of my last tank. I still have the mangrove as they are going in my new build but you can see them in the background the reds and the black mangroves with there pneumatophores
Was that a platform of rocks with sand on it for the mangroves or am I seeing something.
dsc02613kp.jpg

dsc02614j.jpg

dsc02593u.jpg

55 gal mixed reef 10 gal SPS Dom.
10 gal nem tank 2 maxi minis 2 rock flower and one sunburst RBTA

Raingroves

Raingroves

Raingroves_zps321fb63a.jpg

it started as a saltwater tank and mangrove pods to root them and add to my 120. but forgot about them and all I do is dump out rain water when it gets too full. probably about 20 local mangroves and 3 inches of sand and a koralia NANO 240 for circulation. light but good ole south florida sun. its about a year old

Last edited:
Raingroves_zps321fb63a.jpg

it started as a saltwater tank and mangrove pods to root them and add to my 120. but forgot about them and all I do is dump out rain water when it gets too full. probably about 20 local mangroves and 3 inches of sand and a koralia NANO 240 for circulation. light but good ole south florida sun. its about a year old

Nice mangroves. Heck, Florida sunshine and since the mangroves can literally grow right out side doesn't hurt. Lol nice growth.

Nice mangroves. Heck, Florida sunshine and since the mangroves can literally grow right out side doesn't hurt. Lol nice growth.
I wonder if u could plumb that to ur tank that's optimal growing conditions for the tree maybe ill look into that.

Do Mangroves use up your calcium level?

I don't think so and If they do it probably wouldn't be noticeable. Jmo maybe a marine biology student that did their thesis on mangroves will chime in lol.

55 gal mixed reef 10 gal SPS Dom.
10 gal nem tank 2 maxi minis 2 rock flower and one sunburst RBTA

Back