Show your Mangrove Systems

i would like to see pics of the lagoon if possible. sounds like the best part of the system:artist:

Sorry, poo picture from stupid iphone! This is my newest trees on the opposing new growth end taken about a week ago. Zoas, rics & dendros on frag rack to the right. Huge rock in the middle has the corals and such. Maybe I'll taken some real pics with SLR this weekend that give it justice.

Honestly, I spend more time staring at this section of all my SW tanks the most. The life is amazing so long as you watch out for the fireworms when diggin around!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/bajafrank/2d49b826.jpg[/IMG]"]http://

Last edited:
looks good deathwish. like a kid in a puddle.
here are my mangroves. keep them in a pail linked to the sump. the only light is whats out the window and spillover from my display.
mangroves 001.jpg
i have lr in the pail but no sand

Last edited:
looks good deathwish. like a kid in a puddle.
here are my mangroves. keep them in a pail linked to the sump. the only light is whats out the window and spillover from my display.
View attachment 162331
i have lr in the pail but no sand

Def. a kid in a mud puddle! The gf thinks my horticulture obsession is becoming a little too much...

Nice plot of trees. My stock tank started as a taxifolia growing, then the gsm pair was added. I saw this thread and my hoard of my trees were added from the sump and multiple more purchased from hi and pr. Soon enough I added a growing rack for polyps and now I need another stock tank since I have limited growing room for taxifolia.

I would look into some additional lighting as I have seen increased growth from the par38 led. JMO, but it does look like some nice growth. How many months...18?

had the mangroves for about a year now. no leaf growth for the first 6 months lot of roots though, most likely because no light.
i ordered a par 38 two weeks ago, should be in this weekend.

where is the cheapest place to find them? they got for $10 in my LFS

Shhhh.... Don't let the cat out of the bag for the reefers in my area on my $5/pc beauties.

Ebay by far! I can score 15-20packs most any day for $9.99 shipped. Stay away from the sellers from HI, as they seem to always send rooted plants with leaves and they have not done well with the salinity transition even after slowly changing it. Non-rooted pods are the best growers IME. With the Ebay pods, expect around a 25% mortality in your final count of trees you would like to keep.

would totally submerging the mangrove which has no leaves in the water kill them or slow their growth in any ways?

This is how my mangroves are "planted" in my tank...

What do you guys do when the mangroves get too tall? I curently have some in my old DT that I am planning on transfering to my sump/refugium. Would I just trim the top? they are about a foot tall right now and the refug on my new tank is under the stand.

mine havnt gotten too tall yet. but i think you just cut them back like house plants or shrubs.

What do you guys do when the mangroves get too tall? I curently have some in my old DT that I am planning on transfering to my sump/refugium. Would I just trim the top? they are about a foot tall right now and the refug on my new tank is under the stand.

Chop off the tops, but leave some branches and leaves on the main stalk. I chopped mine down to within an inch of the pod area and that lead to it's demise.

HTH,

Does anyone know if they would recommend floating the mangroves using styrofoam or to plant them in mud, what is the better was to do it. I was thinking of floating using styrofoam, it seems cools to have thr oots suspended in the refugium

Does anyone know if they would recommend floating the mangroves using styrofoam or to plant them in mud, what is the better was to do it. I was thinking of floating using styrofoam, it seems cools to have thr oots suspended in the refugium

If you use styrofoam, your going to look at that ugly white block for more than a year. My floaters have been like that for 4 months and still can't hold their weight on the root structure. It's also getting too top-heavy, so a pvc temporary holder is the better bet for aerial roots. The majority of my trees are 'potted' in sand/mud/rubble.

i'm in the process of adding a 15g mangrove tank to my new system.. here it is right after i set it up.

nothing much to look at yet but i hope it turns into something super neat-o
this tank is plumbed in to my 90g sump, 90g prop and soon to have my 180g display
photo2-52.jpg

If you use styrofoam, your going to look at that ugly white block for more than a year. My floaters have been like that for 4 months and still can't hold their weight on the root structure. It's also getting too top-heavy, so a pvc temporary holder is the better bet for aerial roots. The majority of my trees are 'potted' in sand/mud/rubble.

This is very true. However, if you grow WHITE mangroves, the growth rate of the roots is a good 10x faster than that of regular mangroves. While the leaves don't have nearly the tropical look the growth makes up for it. I collected a few seed pods the other day (no roots) and had foot-long roots in two months from being on styrofoam..

Not sure who sells white mangroves but next season I'll collect a bunch and ship for whoever wants to pay for shipping.. :)

Does anyone have any good pictures of they set up their mangroves using either PVC or egg crate? I have mine temporarily with styrofoam in my refugium but am looking for some ideas

I would love some white mangrove seeds , please let me know when you have them, i will even pay for them

I would love some white mangrove seeds , please let me know when you have them, i will even pay for them

I will def keep you in mind. :)

Going to the beach this wednesday so if I see any i'll let you know first.. they may be too far out of season though.. I'll try to post here thursday with my find..

Has anyone tired to incorporate an automated mister system for the mangroves? Seems like it could be a fun project to try. I was looking around and found these http://ezmister.com/, they are push connect misters, I think all you would need is a timer, booster pump, and some RO tubing. You could use some zip ties and egg crate to attach the misters, so it would be possible to mount over the mangroves. Then connect it to your RO/DI line and you could have an automated system.
Give me your thoughts!
Thanks, and great mangrove systems!

Back