Show your Mangrove Systems

Update from my thread
cz7q.jpg

In one of my old systems I kept a couple of mangroves in the sump.They grew well right up through the doors of the stand and up the front of the aquarium. They were pretty neat. Unfortunately they didn't survive the move when i moved my stuff into a larger system and I always wanted to try some more. So.. recently I had the opportunity to expand my sump system and I wanted to have room for some mangroves. So I ordered 30 mangrove seed pods off of a Tampa company on Ebay. I followed their directions to place the pods in a well drained container mixed with sand and potting soil bout 75 to 25 mix. I poured salt water into the container every couple of days and let them sit where they got a couple of hours of afternoon sun. I got 100 percent of the seedlings sprouted in abut 4 weeks or so. I didn't want to leave them in the sand for very long as I know mangroves dont move well.
As soon as they grew the first pair of leaves i moved them to the main sump. They dont quite reach the sand. I hope they will grow down. Root development has slowed since I moved them but the leaves are growing faster. Here they are in their new home. I ant seem to upload the pod photos to pbucket but will post those later. I hope with this many trees to get significant phosphate reduction.
NovTankimages024_zpscb57ec20.jpg

NovTankimages017_zpsd0e10fa7.jpg

NovTankimages016_zps84773c03.jpg

NovTankimages018_zpsb21db20c.jpg

I read through most of this thread but had a lighting question that I may have missed. Can you grow mangroves with ambient light from the room in a classroom/office setting that has regular ceiling fluorescent lighting on about 9 hours a day? Thanks!

Also, if you float the mangroves is there a maximum length that the roots will extend down to?

Last edited:
mangrove tank

mangrove tank

Here are a few pictures of my tank. I'm new to RC and cant wait to see more!

Attachments

• wilson 1.jpg
    wilson 1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 2
  • wilson 2.jpg
    wilson 2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1
  • wilson 3.jpg
    wilson 3.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1
  • wilson 4.jpg
    wilson 4.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1
Here are mine... anyone know if the roots will benefit from receiving light? They did not get light before but in my new set up the roots are in the display and get light.

muty3emy.jpg

Next to mine best mangrove tank I've seen on here

Giga-
I checked out your stuff. OUTSTANDING! I need to get w/ you on lighting. I need to do something different, and I like what you have done.

My stand is on wheels so I can move the trees around, so I tried to keep everything self contained. Im starting to think i need to hang lights. love the arch.

Here are mine... anyone know if the roots will benefit from receiving light? They did not get light before but in my new set up the roots are in the display and get light.

muty3emy.jpg

How are u floating the propagules I have mine in styrofoam. If urs is different could u post some pics. The one thing I noticed is the roots are more red/brown when exposed to light. Looks good.
This is mine just waiting for the roots to reach the sand.
sunatyha.jpg

How are u floating the propagules I have mine in styrofoam. If urs is different could u post some pics. The one thing I noticed is the roots are more red/brown when exposed to light. Looks good.
This is mine just waiting for the roots to reach the sand.
sunatyha.jpg

They are actually zip tied through the teeth in my overflow... they are loose but I realize over time this could limit their growth... I am going to come up with an expandable material to use eventually

Here are a few pictures of my tank. I'm new to RC and cant wait to see more!

At what point did you start training the trees to get that curve in the trunk?
I have 3 propagules in my sump that have just started to sprout roots and I plan to move them into a macro algae display tank once I have it up and running.

They are actually zip tied through the teeth in my overflow... they are loose but I realize over time this could limit their growth... I am going to come up with an expandable material to use eventually

Oh yes I can't believe I didn't think about that!! Thanks

Ok I just moved some stuff around. It went from this.
yzadetyz.jpg

To this. Don't mind the basket that's for healing nems.
zy2emuqa.jpg
ryqeqava.jpg
4uzu3yvy.jpg
5y7y2e4a.jpg
yhujuqab.jpg

Anyone know if the roots will attach to the rock or just reach for the sand.

Back