Simple, Shallow, SPS Rimless Tank Build

Update!

Update!

Everything is finally stable after a crash! :)

Our two tester frags are doing very well for a few weeks now. We will slowly add SPS starting next month. We also added a shallow sand bed of Tropic Eden Grand Select (5.5mm) substrate!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 0
Do you know what caused the crash? Tank still looks amazing. Glad you didn't throw in the towel.

Thank you!

Yeah, When I changed my DI resin, I accidentally put the cartridge upside down so basically well water wasn't getting filtered in the DI stage. I did a huge water change while topping off with high TDS water.

I've changed the DI several times and not sure why I messed that one up. Oh well, lesson learned! Now I check my TDS meter twice every time I fill up my ATO container and saltwater mixing container :)

The output from my RO is about 4 ppm, after DI it drops to 0 ppm.
So even if you install DI cartridge up side down, your water is no higher than 5 ppm.

Would a 5 ppm water cause much of issue? I don't know. I heard someone use tap water (200 ppm) for top off.

So even if you install DI cartridge up side down, your water is no higher than 5 ppm.

Would a 5 ppm water cause much of issue? I don't know. I heard someone use tap water (200 ppm) for top off.

I'm using well water so ppm was around 50 before the DI stage. It's gotta be the problem because my red planet is red again :)

Unfortunately I don't have a rodi and right now I'm using the glacier machine in front of the Winn Dixie so far I've had no issues with using it. Usually the tds is only 4-5ppm. They usually service it every week.

No. Most people will use up to 10ppm. I've even gone as far as 15, though I try to change mine around 5ish. It's important to make sure that when you test the TDS, that the container you use is THOROUGHLY clean using RODI water, because the meter will pick up any remaining particles. The best way is to get an "in-line" TDS meter. They're about $20.

At 15 ppm, the most you should see is maybe some diatoms. Diatoms are normally harmless since they are only comprised of silicates small enough to make it past the membrane.

I'm using well water so ppm was around 50 before the DI stage. It's gotta be the problem because my red planet is red again :)

My gut feeling says that because sps do better in mature tanks, that it's very possible that your tank was still young for such a fast population of sps. And not having a sand bed may have contributed to the lack of maturity in the tank since beneficial bacteria didn't have much of a place to reside. Especially with minimal LR. Now that you have a sand bed, I'm willing to bet that your tank will mature much faster and thus be a more suitable habitat for beneficial bacteria, pods, food, and the like.

Just my own hypothesis.

Arverly, I think you need to check your RO system. Most RO system has 98% rejection rate. 200 ppm input @ (98% rejection = 2% pass through) leave 4 ppm output. To have 50 ppm output, your input must be over 2,500 ppm. If this is the case then you should look at alternative input (ie rainwater with booster pump).

Euphyllia Island

Euphyllia Island

Beverly's euphyllia island is looking awesome! :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 0
Ricordea Garden

Ricordea Garden

We're still looking for yellow, blue, and pink florida ricordeas if you have any to sell/trade ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0
QT setup

QT setup

Current fish in 20L QT tank:
Blue hippo tang
Yellow tang
Kole tang
Starry blenny
Yellow cleaner goby