Simple, Shallow, SPS Rimless Tank Build

ARVERLY

My wife and I just purchased Chris' (aka cdunson82) 75G, 60"Lx24"Wx12"H, 3-sided starfire rimless tank! I cannot wait to see it in person!

I might need some help moving it so if you have a truck and some suction cups, I'd appreciate the help :)

Equipment List:

AQUARIUM- 75G, 60x24x12
STAND- Custom DIY 60x24x36
SUMP- Custom Advanced Acrylics 24x20x16 BubbleKing Concept
PROTEIN SKIMMER- Vertex Omega 180i
ATO- Tunze Osmolator 3155
PLUMBING- BRS Schedule 40 Red Color
LIGHTS- ATI 48" 6x54W with 48" Reefbrite Blue XHO LED
CONTROLLER- Neptune Apex
RETURN PUMP- RLSS DC Waveline 4000 or Eheim 1260
TANK FLOW- 1x Ecotech MP40wes w/ Battery Backup and Maxspect Gyre XF130 (35W)
ROCKS- Minimalist Aquascape MarcoRocks
SUBSTRATE- Barebottom (I prefer barebottom for nutrient-control, but my wife loves the look of sand!)
HEATING- 2x- 200W Eheim Jager
COOLING- Fans
DOSER- Kamoer 3 Channel Dosing Pump
REACTORS- None
CHEMICAL FILTRATION- BulkReefSupply GFO and GAC on mesh filter socks

Pleas let us know if there's something we missed..

Most of our equipment will be purchased during Black Friday next month, so we can use the money we save towards fish and corals!

Stay tuned...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1
UPDATE:

AQUARIUM- 75G, 60x24x12 DONE
STAND- Custom DIY 60x24x36 DONE
SUMP- Custom Advanced Acrylics 24x20x16 BubbleKing Concept
PROTEIN SKIMMER- Vertex Omega 180i
ATO- Tunze Osmolator 3155
PLUMBING- BRS Schedule 40 Red Color
LIGHTS- ATI 48" 6x54W with 48" Reefbrite Blue XHO LED
CONTROLLER- Neptune Apex DONE
RETURN PUMP- RLSS DC Waveline 4000 or Eheim 1260
TANK FLOW- 1x Ecotech MP40wes w/ Battery Backup DONE
TANK FLOW- Maxspect Gyre XF130 (35W)
SUMP FLOW- Jebao RW-4
ROCKS- Minimalist Aquascape MarcoRocks
NITRATE REDUCER- 2x 8"x8"x4" MarinePure Blocks
SUBSTRATE- Barebottom (I prefer barebottom for nutrient-control, but my wife loves the look of sand!)
HEATING- 2x- 200W Eheim Jager
COOLING- Fans
DOSER- Kamoer 3 Channel Dosing Pump DONE
REACTORS- None
CHEMICAL FILTRATION- BulkReefSupply GFO and GAC on mesh filter socks
TEST KITS- Salifert (Ca, Alk, Mag) API (Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate)
RO/DI- BRS 5-Stage Chloramines
WATER CONTAINERS- 2x 20gallon white brute trash
SALT MIX- Red Sea Regular

Last edited:
why not go with DC6000 pump, it gives you extra flow just in case you need it in future for reactor or biopellet.

Yeah I'm still debating whether or not to put Carbon and GFO reactors. Your choice on reactors? I was thinking about getting the Vertex Rx-U 1.5L to match the Vertex Omega 180i skimmer! :)

Well, I have a problem with the tank's drain size.. It only has one 3/4" drain and 1/2" return! And I can't drill it because it's tempered! :(

I could make both holes as drains and hopefully that will give me around 400-500gph (5-6 tank turnover).

Your thoughts?

Well, I have a problem with the tank's drain size.. It only has one 3/4" drain and 1/2" return! And I can't drill it because it's tempered! :(

I could make both holes as drains and hopefully that will give me around 400-500gph (5-6 tank turnover).

Your thoughts?

High flow through the sump is vastly overrated. Run like <300 gph through.. You'll be fine.

If you want the overflow dead silent, use that low flow, and plumb a herbie overflow and use the 3/4" as the unrestricted drain.

an omega 180i? wow! that is some serious skimming power for that tank. lol i have an omega 130 on my duplex and a 150 on my 75g reef w/ 34g cube piped in. they are great skimmers, once you break them in and get them adjusted.

what area of town are you located on. that might help with trying to find help with the move :)

looking forward to seeing this one come together....

Last edited:
I can't wait to see it setup. Looks like it will be a nice clean build.

I used the marine-pure block and bio balls im not sure it made a difference in my nitrates

an omega 180i? wow! that is some serious skimming power for that tank. lol i have an omega 130 on my duplex and a 150 on my 75g reef w/ 34g cube piped in. they are great skimmers, once you break them in and get them adjusted.

what area of town are you located on. that might help with trying to find help with the move :)

looking forward to seeing this one come together....

I might also hook up a 34 deep blue rimless to keep LPS so I figured a 180i would be perfect! I also like to feed fish and corals often :)

We are located near Living Reef!

Back