Simple, Shallow, SPS Rimless Tank Build

If anyone needs proof of this head up to WWC and look at their main display. 500 gallon tank using two eheim 1262 if I remember correctly.

Agreed. The 10x turnover rate rule of thumb is a fallacy.

My tank is using a mag 9.

That rule of thumb came from the days before we had good powerheads. It's so easy these days to get great in tank flow. It just doesn't make sense to run tons of flow through the sump anymore in the vast majority of cases.

Awesome, this makes plumbing a lot easier and simpler, which is my goal! :)

Now the question is, how can I silence my 3/4" drain?

I just use herbie or whatever it's called. Can be adjusted to be fairly silent. Basically you just put a valve on one pipe so it's under water level all the time. And second pipe is usually dry and sticks up a few inches above the first pipe.
I use ball valve so I can't dial it in too perfectly, so I have a little trickle going to the second drain, but that doesn't generate whole lot of noise.

Fish List

Fish List

DaVinci Clownfish Extreme pair
Tailspot Blenny
Midas Blenny
Sharknose Goby
Helfrichi Firefish
Yasha goby
Hawaiian Flame Wrasse pair
Lineatus Wrasse pair
?????? Tang

This is why I'm getting a Vertex Omega 180i! :)

midas blenny and a helfricki in a rimless? are you adding some type of mesh top?

have you already acquired the 34g rimless? i might have one to part with. i currently have it piped into my 75g reef. i bought a 60g to upgrade, but just never switched. lol

midas blenny and a helfricki in a rimless? are you adding some type of mesh top?

have you already acquired the 34g rimless? i might have one to part with. i currently have it piped into my 75g reef. i bought a 60g to upgrade, but just never switched. lol

yup Ill be putting a BRS 1/4" screen. Can you pls send pics of your 34G?

Tank Location

Tank Location

The tank will be placed here! (My wife loves the color orange in case you're wondering why the walls are bright orange!)

We are going to HD later today to get a GFCI "Leviton X7599-W SmartlockPro Slim GFCI Tamper-Resistant Receptacle with LED Indicator, 15-Amp, White" and I am also ordering a "Taymac MM710C Weatherproof Protector, 4-3/4 Inches Deep, Clear" for extra splash protection!

Water-change station will be placed outside the window on the right :)

Attachments

• DSC_0062 (1).jpg
    DSC_0062 (1).jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 2
Custom Sump

Custom Sump

I'll be ordering this custom sump with a few changes:

1) The bubble tower and one 3/4" drain holder will replace one of the filter sock holders (hence there will be two 4" filter socks instead of three)
2) The bottom will be red acrylic

If you have any feedback, please let me know before I place the order!

Attachments

• custom sump.jpg
    custom sump.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 2
Looks cool, only possible sort of issue I see is with those slits for adjustable plate, maybe move them more the the side so they are closed by the wall and do not leak water through.

Looks neat otherwise, I wish I had an actual sump with compartments instead of just a 120g tank that i divided with eggcrate to wall off chaeto from pumps :)

Looks cool, only possible sort of issue I see is with those slits for adjustable plate, maybe move them more the the side so they are closed by the wall and do not leak water through.

Looks neat otherwise, I wish I had an actual sump with compartments instead of just a 120g tank that i divided with eggcrate to wall off chaeto from pumps :)

cool, thanks for your input! I was going to go with the DIY sump route but I've never done a DIY sump and didn't know how to make it neat and I'm a neat freak when it comes to reefing lol

Yeah DIY doesn't look as neat I suppose, but definitely is a lot cheaper (especially if you already have a 120g tank laying around lol). Only thing I could do is maybe add glass baffles, but that sounds like too much work at this point.

recommend design for middle baffle. The red part slides up and down, and has better strength and also better water tight.

Attachments

• middle.jpg
    middle.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 2
I wouldn't permanently mount a probe holder...magnetic is better that way you can move it later if it is in the way.

Here are some sumps i found online of what others did.

Attachments

• 36x20x18_Reefugium_Pro_Front_Dimensions_1.jpg
    36x20x18_Reefugium_Pro_Front_Dimensions_1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 185g_sump19_zpsfd641659.jpg
    185g_sump19_zpsfd641659.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1
  • tsunami_sump.jpg
    tsunami_sump.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 49034463815938977931.jpg
    49034463815938977931.jpg