SimpleSpsTank

ReefzLover

Hi guys ! I have been reading in this sps forum in Reefcentral for quite

sometimes and I'm really falling in love with it ! This is the first time I'm trying

out a full sps tank..So please pardon me for my beginner tank. Hope u guys can

give me lots of advise for it! :)

Tank info - Rimless 46"x26"x22" Front panel crystal glass with a black acrylic internal overflow box.

Sump - 25"x18"x16" this will be a very simple sump tank just for my equipments.

Equipments -
Light - ATI 6tubes Powermodule
Chiller - Arctica 1/4 with Eheim 1260
Return Pump - Eheim 1262

Current equipments on hand only light,chiller and pumps,others still undecided yet

Will post some pictures soon ! :)

26 or 22 inches tall?

don't be stingy on a good skimmer. buy the right one the first time!

good gear you have already. look forward to updates.

26 or 22 inches tall?

don't be stingy on a good skimmer. buy the right one the first time!

good gear you have already. look forward to updates.

Looking at the Profilux dosing pump and maybe a Deltec skimmer.

Will upload some photos soon. My cabinet is here alr..waiting for the tank to arrive.

Can someone advise me on Biopellets? Considering of using it..or should I go for Zeovit?

You should send that Deltec to my house so I can break it in for you. I'll run it till it needs a good cleaning then send it back.

What kind of circulation are you going to have in the tank? Powerheads or closed loop? If you're going to keep SPS you're going to need good flow. I've recently moved from Vortech to Tunze and they're really growing on me. Yes, the Vortech has an external controller and wireless capability but the Tunzes are dead silent in my tank and move about the same amount of water. Yes they do have a bigger footprint and a wire but the noise trade off is worth it to me.

Nice dimensions on the tank. Sounds like you're going to have a nice build. I haven't been to Singapore in 20 years. I'll have to come over and check it out once you get it built.

Mike

You should send that Deltec to my house so I can break it in for you. I'll run it till it needs a good cleaning then send it back.

What kind of circulation are you going to have in the tank? Powerheads or closed loop? If you're going to keep SPS you're going to need good flow. I've recently moved from Vortech to Tunze and they're really growing on me. Yes, the Vortech has an external controller and wireless capability but the Tunzes are dead silent in my tank and move about the same amount of water. Yes they do have a bigger footprint and a wire but the noise trade off is worth it to me.

Nice dimensions on the tank. Sounds like you're going to have a nice build. I haven't been to Singapore in 20 years. I'll have to come over and check it out once you get it built.

Mike

I'm looking at Tunze 6105 x2. I used to use Vortech..it's a good pump too but this time I would like to give Tunze a try.

This tank will be in my room so everything really need to be dead silent.. I hope everything will come out real nice ! Just like the way I want.

Once everything is done and u have the time to come over Singapore for holiday u can drop by anytime.. :) :beer:

Picture of my cabinet.. chose black colour to match my bed.. :)

Attachments

• rsz_img_0283.jpg
    rsz_img_0283.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 0
i think one piece of advice i will take for my next tank is that when you get a new coral
give it a chance to see how it will look in your tank. Say 3-5 months or what not. But if
it does not perform color wise or shape of the growth wise for you.. do not be afraid to
give it the boot and trade it in with the local fish store for some credit.

I will give you an example. I bought a frag of yellow porites. It was about 1 inch or so. Basically
just to test out my tank. I think I paid 10 bucks.

Well the darn thing is spreading at the base like wild fire but the overall shape of the coral
is still like a finger. A middle finger saying to me.. HA.. how you like me now. At this rate
it will be another year before it starts to branch off in different directions and it has a
pretty good spot in my tank. I would really have to try to kill it off at this point if i removed
the plug i glued down and then whatever has encrusted around it in every direction for
a couple of inches. Eventually this tabling yellow acro i have will just totally shade it..

From 1 inch.. to about 2 inches.. total boring.. and now I do not have the heart to do
anything about it because it was my "first coral in this tank". All the energy of the coral
was spent encrusting..

sigh. ;-) next time.. i will remove any coral that does not match my desired look and
get
credit.

i think one piece of advice i will take for my next tank is that when you get a new coral
give it a chance to see how it will look in your tank. Say 3-5 months or what not. But if
it does not perform color wise or shape of the growth wise for you.. do not be afraid to
give it the boot and trade it in with the local fish store for some credit.

I will give you an example. I bought a frag of yellow porites. It was about 1 inch or so. Basically
just to test out my tank. I think I paid 10 bucks.

Well the darn thing is spreading at the base like wild fire but the overall shape of the coral
is still like a finger. A middle finger saying to me.. HA.. how you like me now. At this rate
it will be another year before it starts to branch off in different directions and it has a
pretty good spot in my tank. I would really have to try to kill it off at this point if i removed
the plug i glued down and then whatever has encrusted around it in every direction for
a couple of inches. Eventually this tabling yellow acro i have will just totally shade it..

From 1 inch.. to about 2 inches.. total boring.. and now I do not have the heart to do
anything about it because it was my "first coral in this tank". All the energy of the coral
was spent encrusting..

sigh. ;-) next time.. i will remove any coral that does not match my desired look and
get
credit.

Hmm..okay thanks for your great advise! Hope i can get everything planned before putting new SPS in. :beer:

Here some pictures of my LR tt bought 2days ago. Big pieces and nice shapes... :spin2:

Attachments

• rsz_3img_0284.jpg
    rsz_3img_0284.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 0
take your time with your rock work..
i must have spent days dorking around with mine until i got something i could live with.

Back