Size of freshly hatch baby brine shrimp? Mesh size needed to prevent from overflow?

How big (microns) are fleshly hatched baby brine shrimp (BBS)?

What size (micron) mesh would be needed to prevent fresh hatched BBS from going through the overflow slits in a tank?

I think nauplii hatch length of the most common type, Artemia franciscana, is about 430µm.

My concern is that any type of mesh that you would add with a small enough mesh to block nauplii would not only drastically slow down the flow entering the overflow (which could lead to flooding due to too much water entering the display) but will quickly become clogged with algae and detritus.

What are you trying to feed and are there other ways of feeding besides adding something to the overflow?

You could build some sort of frame with multiple layers of mesh with decreasing micron sizes, but these would have to be kept clean.

I don't know much about dwarf seahorses, but I'm guessing you'd be fine just turning off the pump during feeding time. After a few feeding sessions you'll be able to gauge how much nauplii to add with minimal uneaten food entering the filter when you turn the pump back on.

Some time ago when I tried dwarfs. I had a long phone conversation with dan at seahorse source. He recommended "œthe bag" from seachem. I'm think he said it is or is close to a 180 mesh material. (Been a while) He recommended that because it's typically a local item at your LFS.

I don't recall what I wound up using, but it wasn't "œthe bag" simply because of cost. Seachem is proud of that little nylon bag. I at the time was to frugal to purchase it.

I don't know much about dwarf seahorses, but I'm guessing you'd be fine just turning off the pump during feeding time. After a few feeding sessions you'll be able to gauge how much nauplii to add with minimal uneaten food entering the filter when you turn the pump back on.

This is also for the safety of the horses. There won't be hardly any flow in the tank to begin with but. It will also keep the little pony's out of the sump area. Especially if the OP is lucky enough to have babies

This is also for the safety of the horses. There won't be hardly any flow in the tank to begin with but. It will also keep the little pony's out of the sump area. Especially if the OP is lucky enough to have babies

If that's the case, I'd go with a larger mesh. Anything that will block nauplii is waaaay too small.

Thank you for the information. This looks like a small enough mesh for dwarf seahorses and maybe baby seahorses but it seems like it would easily let baby brine shrimp through. Is this an issue OR do they NOT tend to end up in the back compartment?

It will not stop baby dwarf seahorses. That needle point mesh will in fact stop adult and "teenage" dwarfs though.

Baby brine will very easily go through the needle point mesh. Baby brine shrimp sieve are like a silkscreen type material. If you've ever done any silkscreen, then you know what I'm talking about.

Side note;
I've replied in both your threads about dwarf seahorses. You've ignored me in both threads. I will now leave you to your own research and opinion, as to what you need to do. Just remember the one piece of info that you continue to read about dwarf seahorses. All that try..... fail at their first attempt. This is true. I can only imagine that this thread came from info I posted in your last thread......
Good luck in your venture.
Post your build and trials so others can learn. There's not enough info out there about dwarf seahorses. I know, I was once in the place you are. It's not as easy as it seems. Again, good luck.

I've replied in both your threads about dwarf seahorses. You've ignored me in both threads.

Continuing to gather information and "ignoring you" are very different things. This hobby is filled with accurate and inaccurate information. Many people online are very critical of others for not doing sufficient research. I would not recommend being critical of folks trying to get good information from several sources.

Continuing to gather information and "ignoring you" are very different things. This hobby is filled with accurate and inaccurate information. Many people online are very critical of others for not doing sufficient research. I would not recommend being critical of folks trying to get good information from several sources.

Simple acknowledgement goes a long way to others that read and respond on the same bandwidth. That's all I'm saying. Responding after having an honest comment sent your way....Isn't the best. If that means I'm being critical, then so be it. I have been the only one that I have seen offer you info from a point of view that has been there.

Again, please post and share your adventures. Both positive and bad. The forum will thank you for it.

Take care my friend.

Back