Skimmer & Copper

rljlll

Does anyone know if there was copper add to a salt system if it stays in the plastic or acrylic of the skimmer?

I know it stays in the silicone at the corners of grass tanks but what about the skimmer does it stayin anything in there
i don't wantit to hurt a new tank set up LMK

If you are concerned you can clean it in a strong vinegar solution and then a weaker bleach solution and then run it in the bath tub for a day.

ok so overall i would be ok to use it again in a new tank and does anyone know if i cut the grout in the corners of a class tank that has has copper and put some new silicone in the corners will that be reef safe or no?

i wouldn't risk removing the silicone and trying to redo it, less you know what you are doing. i don't think you have to worry about the copper in your tank, just rinse well, keep up on water changes, and run carbon if you are worried.
mark

I would not redo the tank, just clean it out real good, and if your still worried put some SeaChem CupriSorb in the tank and it will absorb the copper.

Agreed............for a tank cleaning they actually reccommend a solution of muriatic acid and water with a powerhead for a few hours, rinse, and follow that with the water, bleach and powerhead. Rinse.

Back