Skimmer Suggestions

CLeadfootS

Coral Addict
I am on the hunt for a new skimmer. Problem is that there are too many to choose from. I wanted to get something cool and different.

I looked at the new reef octopus pov dc1 but it's getting some bad reviews now. I tried to order an ATB 840 v2 only to find out atb went out of buisness in north america.

The new skimmer I have been eying is the Skimz leopard sl183. It has a variable speed dc pump that draws 9 watts to 19 watts of power and 600 l/h to 1200 l/h of air in a 7 inch body. Problem is that I can't find any reviews anywhere on this skimmer.

I know everybody is going to recommend a reef octopus but I was wanting to try something new and fun. Let me know what you think of the Skimz and any other suggestions you might have. Thanks!

1100010000712.jpg

I saw those. I have enough room in my sump where I don't need a space saver model. I think an oval skimmer is more of a gimmick then a dc pump. The dc pumps are powerful and have a huge air draw. I'm not sure if it's too much air though.

The only benefit of a dc pump is adjusting the speed. A better use for the pump is on your return. Then again, I don't have the mindset to look for something fun in a skimmer, my budget dictates looking for something tried and true. I am not one to gamble on tank heath for cosmetics of a skimmer.

If that sounds rude, it's not my intention. If no one takes risks with new technology it will never evolve.

Look into the new aquamaxx it has a cool bubble plate and the hole in the cup is slanted. To me it kind of looks like a rocket

Nice skimmers Steven. They have to be run kinda deep though. 8-10 inches. I have heard good things about them though. I don't want a space saving model so I would like the middle skimmer more.

1073167_10151745692455941_610200405_o.jpg

What makes the bk better then all the rest? The skimz has a pump that uses less watts and pumps more air the the bk double cone 180 I was checking out. Plus I wouldn't have to pay $600 for a new pump when it goes out. Can anybody explain it to me?

Ive owned recently except BK years ago. BK sm250, atb 840, still have alpha 250 , skimz cone180, omega 150.

Build quality- 1st Bk 2nd alpha/onega 3rd ATB the Skimz ( plastic was no comparison to the others)

Pump- the BK and alpha uses lil dragon pumps quiet ad can be. Omega uses a sicce pump which is louder than than alpha omega it replaced. Same as the ATB 840 though its quiter than the smaller Omega 150. Skimz was a lot louder not sure if its the pump or design.

All this said Casey budget dictates most of our decisions and BK's are a premium.
Check out the alpha series too. The pumps maybe expensive to replace but I have never had an issue with the dragon pumps. Not even a stall, never hear many complaints about them either.

Ive owned recently except BK years ago. BK sm250, atb 840, still have alpha 250 , skimz cone180, omega 150.

Build quality- 1st Bk 2nd alpha/onega 3rd ATB the Skimz ( plastic was no comparison to the others)

Pump- the BK and alpha uses lil dragon pumps quiet ad can be. Omega uses a sicce pump which is louder than than alpha omega it replaced. Same as the ATB 840 though its quiter than the smaller Omega 150. Skimz was a lot louder not sure if its the pump or design.

All this said Casey budget dictates most of our decisions and BK's are a premium.
Check out the alpha series too. The pumps maybe expensive to replace but I have never had an issue with the dragon pumps. Not even a stall, never hear many complaints about them either.

Thanks Bryan, I just checked out the Vertex Alpha 170. It seems to be a nice skmmer. It uses the the nice red dragon pump like the bk's you say is good. It's around $400 cheaper which is good too. Now you got me thinking.....

I have the Skimz em 201 and it is a workhorse at 20 watts and draws about 960 on air. ( forgot the term) for the price it's hard to beat.

BK nuff said ��

BALLER!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

What's up Bryan and Casey! I'm living the reef thing through you guys.

Casey, I've been looking at (Yeah, planning a Rimless Build) the Bubble Magus Curve 5 & 7. a few reviews on youtube. look interesting and the price is budget friendly.

Back