Skimmerless on nano?

onetrickpony

Premium Member
The tank will be mixed LPS & SPS, 13g desktop- 55g under the desk.

I am gathering all the equipment to finish up setting my Tank
13g with 55g sump/50% volume, about 30 gallons combined.
Lighting will be T5.

Refugium if needed?

I plan on running extra filtration in the sump, more rock.
Also I plan using a reactor for GFO, Purigen , and carbon Rox0.8

What are your thoughts and opinions
Thanks

I dont think you need a fuge but id add one. Watch out for parameter swings. My 23 gal nano sality drops. 01 evry 2 days.

I dont think you need a fuge but id add one. Watch out for parameter swings. My 23 gal nano sality drops. 01 evry 2 days.

I don't know if it should drop? When my water evaporates, my salinity goes up. But in order to avoid anything like this, keep an ATO. Biggest problem with nanos is water evaporation.

Use the rock section to throw some chaeto in and call it a "fuge".

Overall, this is almost the same setup I have, except a smaller sump and 2 DTs. But I do use a skimmer as well as GFO and a "fuge" (as described above). Keeps my water parameters low and everything happy, which is all that matters. Be careful with LPS because the tank is pretty small to limit the PAR and keep them happy!

I had a 18g with just carbon and GFO and my parameters were rock solid. I would say dosing 2 part, a temp controller and an ATO are an absolute must. I had no skimmer or fuge and it worked out fine for a year before upgrading. 4 gallon water change every 2 weeks and a bioload of just 2 clowns.

Back