Skimmerless

skimmerlesss

skimmerlesss

Hi Eric , could you please post some pics of your skimmerless tanks ? I am a skimmer freak and have had high bioloads of coral and fish + fed like hell ! I've been quite successful with this methode but would like to see with my eyes your success without skimmers .
Sincerely
bernie lyons

Re: skimmerlesss

Re: skimmerlesss

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11022615#post11022615 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bernie lyons
Hi Eric , could you please post some pics of your skimmerless tanks ? I am a skimmer freak and have had high bioloads of coral and fish + fed like hell ! I've been quite successful with this methode but would like to see with my eyes your success without skimmers .
Sincerely
bernie lyons

Don't expect Eric B to post here. Please see that this thread was started in 2001.

Here's the newest edition of the options to consider to help you go skimmerless:

Try a DIY turf algae filter. Here is one I made in a bucket... brought Nitrate and Phosphate to zero in a week, is basically free to build, and you could have it running the same day:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=12931276#post12931276

148489CleanedAndReady.JPG

I went skimmerless when I was out of town working and had people watching my tank. Since it was a HOB I did not want to risk overflow.

Anyways, the tank was without a skimmer for 3 months, did fine, even with heavy feedings.

I had no sump or anything, either. What kept things in control was the dictyota algae in my tank, that stuff consumed extra nutrients like there was no tomorrow. So, whenever I came home I would just take out hand fulls and things would be fine. The only risk was smother corals.

So, if you have a sump or nice place to go macroaglae then going skimmerless should be no problem. I swear this algae is more efficient than any that I have ever seen.

Back