Skimmerless

Yes, I was serious....and I was also serious saying I don't think it should be done this way. I haven't found kalkwasser to be as dangerous as it has always been thought, but doing it properly, as you plan to do, is a much better idea.

you don't find your skin peeling after that dip into a pH 12 solution? I don't know if I would recomend that to people. :D

Not even a little. I wouldn't drink it, but I have never noticed anything from a pH 12 solution on the hands or arms. Not recommmending it, esepcially to those who might be sensitive, but does nothing to me.

I don't take much caution with kalk either... it's never bothered me. But I've never had a healthy fear of chemicals... I was the only kid in my ochem class to have their skin turn 3 colors in one day.

EricHugo said:
I may know a bit about corals and coral reefs, but I'm really not a leader when it comes to aquariums. I used to be.

Oh, yeah, whatever... it's not like we haven't seen pictures of your tank. ;)

well, humility is a good thing, I think.

Yeah, there is a BIG difference betwen sodium hydroxide and cacium hydroxide. And yes, I have seen Fight Club. In fact, I own the collector's edition - one of my very favorite movies. In fact, nearly flawless. I could probably recite every line of it by heart. So, no, we are not making lye with kalkwasser, nor do we need to seel the fat of fat women back to them as soap...nor are we in Roman times where ashes flowed down the river. But, I do have my helping of single serving friends. No the questions as I pass, do I have give him the *** or the crotch?

EricHugo said:
well, humility is a good thing, I think.

That's just what the de-masculating bourgeoisie culture has been telling you. ;) Personally, I think a little well earned arrogance is sexy.

Sorry, couldn't resist and you have no idea how it pained me to say that. its an awful feeling to write something like that. Now, if someone were to say it to me, I'd blush and thank them, but although I am confident and proud, statements like that from anyone, especialy myself, cause my fingers to actually shake while typing

EricHugo said:
Sorry, couldn't resist and you have no idea how it pained me to say that. its an awful feeling to write something like that. Now, if someone were to say it to me, I'd blush and thank them, but although I am confident and proud, statements like that from anyone, especialy myself, cause my fingers to actually shake while typing

That's cute and all... but it's also kind of absurd. Your authority in coral-keeping, your leadership in the hobby and committment to pursuing new knowledge, and the fact that you are one of the best aquarists in the world, justifies your running this forum... justifies your grant money... justifies all the faith and trust people put into your advice... justifies all the time *I* have spent reading your articles!!

So you can be as humble as you want... it doesn't change anything. ;)

Anyway... that's why people want to know if you keep a skimmer on your tank and when and why you do or don't.

Last edited:
Nice quote.

I'm still waiting for just the right moment to use my quote of Bomber saying that

Biosphere I was a "total failure".

I'm just about to set up a new tank, and was wondering: how high of a live rock ratio do you have going.

my first tanks were skimmerless, till I started getting harder to keep corals. this tank won't have hard to keep corals, but have animals that use up alot of food-lots of bioload... can't decide between seahorses or an octopus... (this is NOT a discussion on keeping either)

so, call it just a silly question!!!

Depends on the tank. Some I have quite a lot of rock, some almost none. I prefer a tank that is about 25-30% visually full of rock.

I would point out though, it's easier to get more flow with less rock... and I imagine that in a skimmerless tank, flow becomes that much more important. But I'm just speculating... maybe more rock adds more bio-filtration. I wonder about that. Maybe Mr. Borneman could tell us.

Back