Smoothdog's 150DD build

smoothdog

It hasn't frozen over yet but it's getting a little chillier in hell, the basement sump is on the way in. For those that don't know, I've been planning to move my sump to the basement for about 3 years now, even bought the pump for it way back then. Well time being fleeting, I never really got around to clearing out the space for it and such.

Cut to a couple of months ago, we decided to put new flooring in the family room where the tank is, so since I have to take the tank down to put the floors in I thought it would be a good time to upgrade the tank and finally get that basement sump area built.

Tank will be a Marineland 150 Deep Dimension. Picked up Vspeck's old 6ft. 100g tank from reefer96 and will be converting it to a sump/fuge. Frag tanks and equipment will be on the top of the basement stand and will be fed from a manifold coming off the main pump, a Panworld 200PS. I will be building a custom stand and hood for the tank once I get the floors put in since I didn't like the height of the factory built stand.

The sump stand is built and the waterproofing paint should be here tomorrow. I've installed catch rails around the stand edges to catch any inadvertent spills and will install drains so if there should ever be any flooding incidents it should not make it to the floor unless it's a catastrophic failure.

DSC_1400.JPG by ksw2005, on Flickr

DSC_1403.JPG by ksw2005, on Flickr

Looks awesome. Hopefully you put schplitter/my/reefer96s tank to good use. The last time I saw it full was in schplitters place :lol:

Looks awesome. Hopefully you put schplitter/my/reefer96s tank to good use. The last time I saw it full was in schplitters place :lol:

OMG that was 3 or 4 years ago ha ha ha.

@smoothdog: I think I drilled four holes in that one and it didn't shatter. Let hope I have the same luck with the 110.

Hopefully I'll do it justice. The next time you see it full it should be a nice large sump/fuge with macros, rock and micro fauna.

OMG that was 3 or 4 years ago ha ha ha.

@smoothdog: I think I drilled four holes in that one and it didn't shatter. Let hope I have the same luck with the 110.

Yep, four nice big holes that I unfortunately have to plug up now. :facepalm: :lol:

Fwiw spray on truck Bedliner is my waterproofing of choice

Thought about that but I like the Wookies paint job. Nice and glossy so it cleans up easy. Going with the same rubberized/polyurethane paint he used.

If ya need any help Kirk let me know.

Most definitely!

Off to a good start :thumbsup:. I'm surprised the floors aren't done yet:lolspin:.

That's what Susan said. :crazy1:

Here we go:thumbsup: Get crackin'!

crackalackin!

Nice! :thumbsup:

Thanks Nick. Your tank is what inspired me to go with the cube. :D

I had to rip the box apart just to get it out. :lol: I probably could have thrown it off my roof and it would have been fine. I'm going to use this the next time I ship something breakable.

I forgot about that;) I've ordered a couple gallons and that's how they shipped it to me still.

Stand is painted, next will be getting glass cut to make the baffles for the sump/fuge.

DSC_1502.JPG by ksw2005, on Flickr

Dry fit, top emergency drain fits perfectly flush.

DSC_1504.JPG by ksw2005, on Flickr

There wasn't room under the bottom shelf to install a traditional drain, so here is what I came up with. A threaded pvc pipe will screw into the outside end of the hole for the emergency drain.

DSC_1503.JPG by ksw2005, on Flickr

It wasn't too bad, just tedious. After trying to brush it around, I figured out it was much easier to drizzle it all over the top then use a mini roller to spread it around. If I did it again I'd use a squeegee like the directions suggested. A Cheap throw away brush worked great for slathering in the corners and for loading up the roller to roll the sides.

Back