Snails continue to die within a few hours

Daurland

I have had a 13.5 gallon running for about two months and coral is doing well and fish as well

But when I add any snails they tend to die within a few hours

Only running,

chemi blue pro
Filterfloss
Media reactor with rowaphos
Bio max

Wondering if anyone has a thoughts on this

The picture are my numbers as of today
89504CFA-47A0-4C20-BFD1-28CCF18CB6D7.png

I would think that you have something else going on in your tank if you’re losing your snails. I never acclimate anything before it goes in my tank. I closed the bag temperature acclimate drop them in.
Especially if they’re dying that fast do you have any other invertebrates in your tank shrimp or crabs?

Snail acclimation....
Stick them to the glass above the water line - or a piece of pipe, etc. Let them dip their foot in and acclimate themselves... They will slowly walk into the water as they get comfortable, just like you getting in a hot tub.

But I would also agree with the above... something else is wrong. An unhappy snail will seek the water line of seal itself in. Trace amounts of copper? Something else. I know you said you have coral, but different inverts react to copper poisoning differently.

Reef cleaners says to never drip acclimate snails. I added 50 to a 75 gallon tank a few days ago and they are fine.

All Animals at this Time:

1. Float the bag in your tank to get the animals used to the temperature in your aquarium.

2. Wait 15 minutes, or until the temperature has been equalized.

3. Add animals to the tank, discard shipping water and any towels used in the packaging.

4. DO NOT DRIP ACCLIMATE.
Reef Cleaners

Are you sure they are dead?
Snails may go dormant for up to 3 days, Ceriths are usually the slowest to come around. Chitons and limpets are also slow to get moving.

Instructions in the box have a slightly different method for shrimps and crabs

It happens to be the method I have used for years by adding water to the bag after floating for 15 minutes.

I think the recommendation to not drip acclimate is due to the rapid buildup of ammonia in the saturated shipping water. Inverts make a mess very quickly and the moment you open the bag, Ammonia begins to buildup due to the oxygen.

I've had exactly the opposite experience. Temperature acclimate only and they sit there like stoned zombies for days and a small portion survive and otherwise have short lives. Drip acclimate and they're happy and moving the same day and survive for years.

I’ve killed more than My fair share of snails in short time. IMO when animals die in 24-48 hrs it’s almost always from
Improper acclimation. But this is only my opinion

I don’t know if it’s from salinity changes or Kh/ph change but something affects snails

Problem is, 50 dead snails results in a pretty big ammonia spike so then you’re chasing and guessing

I like to acclimate

Last edited:
wvned, you are doing some sort of tank water acclimation when you’re adding tank water to the bag

If something is shipped with a lot of water I dump some until the bag is about 1/4 full and then I add the same amount to the bag from the tank. I clip the bag to the tank and let it float. Then I add some from a cup every 10 minutes or so and after 30-60 minutes I dump the bag in the tank.

The only time I acclimate in a bucket is the rare event that I get something in the green or blue water where some chemical has been added to the bag. I add the water to the bucket but place the animal in the tank at the end and toss the water in the bucket.

One place, Bluezoo or Saltwater fish sends a simple drip acclimation setup in every order but I never use it. I have not had good luck the few times I tried it but those times were for extra sensitive inverts.
My way has been 100% for me. I order large numbers of snails at once every now and then to replenish my clean up crews.

If something is shipped with a lot of water I dump some until the bag is about 1/4 full and then I add the same amount to the bag from the tank. I clip the bag to the tank and let it float. Then I add some from a cup every 10 minutes or so and after 30-60 minutes I dump the bag in the tank.

The only time I acclimate in a bucket is the rare event that I get something in the green or blue water where some chemical has been added to the bag. I add the water to the bucket but place the animal in the tank at the end and toss the water in the bucket.
Thank you I’ll check this out

Back