So I went on vacation............

There is a big difference between something perishing, and killing. In this case the only reason stuff died was because it was killed. Which is why Frizz is upset.

I'm sure I'm the first one to make an honest mistake.

Nevermind, I meant to kill all that stuff. I thought it would be cool to take a trip for my Birthday and come back to a bunch of dead stuff. Happy Bday Raf.:celeb1:

This hobby comes at a cost involving highs and lows, ups and downs, trial and error, and Then finally success

I'm sure you never had anything die.

not true & I have made a lot of stupid mistakes with my tank. When something goes wrong though, I morn the loss of LIFE. I am irritated by the loss of money but ultimately money is not important. You just seemed only annoyed about the investment. & honestly, a tank crash due to inadvertently screwing up your water chemistry or an accident is different than not thinking about the fact that living creatures require a controlled environment. Aquariums are much more than part of the interior decor. I would hope that you wouldnt consider going on vacation & leaving the cat & the guinea pig locked in an un airconditioned home during a phoenix summer. This is no different.
Frizz

not true & I have made a lot of stupid mistakes with my tank. When something goes wrong though, I morn the loss of LIFE. I am irritated by the loss of money but ultimately money is not important. You just seemed only annoyed about the investment. & honestly, a tank crash due to inadvertently screwing up your water chemistry or an accident is different than not thinking about the fact that living creatures require a controlled environment. Aquariums are much more than part of the interior decor. I would hope that you wouldnt consider going on vacation & leaving the cat & the guinea pig locked in an un airconditioned home during a phoenix summer. This is no different.
Frizz

"Kick 'em when they up, kick 'em when they down"

Let it go already. Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. The 1000.00 investment in stock, as previously stated, was an idea of the amount of lost life. There is probably 4X the investment in equipment to care for the creatures in one's charge.

It is a first reaction in an auto accident to be concerned about the monetary damage to the vehicle. It is only after the inital shock and awe wears off that one realizes the potential for damage to one's person. Perhaps this was a similiar reaction, no one sets out to damage their livestock.:fish2:

& honestly, a tank crash due to inadvertently screwing up your water chemistry or an accident is different than not thinking about the fact that living creatures require a controlled environment.
Frizz

images

Raf what are you doing to get the reef back up and running? I honestly wonder if anything survived. You would be surprised by the hardiness of some of the animals in our tanks. Not saying they're is anything still kickin in the tank but you never know. Change the water run some serious carbon action and see what you find before you drain it and start over. I am sorry to hear about the loss and we'll be here for support!

I took some of the zoas and candy canes out that survived and put them in the 95g (was fish only, still has good water quality). The rest of the hammer, frogspawn, torch etc. was already skeleton only but I left them in the 55g and did some water changes and started to run carbon. I'll let the tank run for a bit to see what happens. In the meantime, the 95 is going to become a reef (finally).

Frizz - I would disagree with you on the assertion that killing evereything in your tank due to inadvertently screwing up your water chemistry or an accident is somehow less egregious than in a rush to get out of the house turning off the AC. The first is essentially a deflection to account for losses experienced by someone who 'values' animal life purportedly more than others. Yet in both all cases the deaths are caused by negligence. The crime is the same. The victims are the same. Yet your response is different.

"All drains lead to the ocean." Maybe we shouldn't be pulling stuff out of the ocean and putting in our tanks. Seems to me that participation in the hobby makes any of us a candidate for mistakes and loss of life. Any of us. You could also argue that my sebae clown would never have lived as long in the sea as he has in my tank. Then again, a safe prison is still a prison. Pretty tough to get moral with these things. Sorry for your loss. Do better next time.

where do you find a smilie beating a dead horse? Ha! Love the high and mighties :) Good luck on the new tanks

I just searched Google images for beating a dead horse and that was one of them ;)

My AC was out all day the other day fortunately they fixed it in the afternoon my tank with the lights out didn't get above 81 that day phew!

Back