So what is this and how do I get rid of it!!??

I thought I heard that if it is a type of lyngba, this algae has a sheath that does not let something like chemiclean work on it.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Highland, the "algae" I have looks exactly like JG1's picture. I am sure I have this right after I upgraded from a MH light to dimmable LED. I was too excited to acclimate the light, shot a lot of blue color into the tank. I would say that is my root cause.

As a last resort imo, using an antibiotic may help for a cyano pest. ;)

Lastduke, I believe your pest sounds more like an algae, perhasp bryopsis or some red algae, which antibiotics won't work on. Perhaps increasing mag levels may help. :)

I thought I heard that if it is a type of lyngba, this algae has a sheath that does not let something like chemiclean work on it.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Not sure what chemiclean is... generally cyanobacteria and its relatives can be dealt with using antibiotics.

5-8
IMG_0009.jpg

5-11
IMG_0011.jpg

5-12
IMG_0001-5.jpg

5-11
IMG_0011.jpg

5-12
IMG_0001-5.jpg

Unless the pictures are captured differently from different angle, I see improvement. Look at the edge of the rock just right above the black hole at the top left corner. The 5/11 picture still shows long strains of cyano while the 5/12 shows almost nothing. The overall color of the rock from 5/12 is a lot lighter as well.

Think I should do lights out for a day or two just to really stick the knife through this stuffs heart? I really think the tech-m is what's killing this stuff. I just want to completely eradicate this crap, that's why I was thinking a brief period of darkness. Seems like this stuff is dieing off during the night.

Also, should I let my Mg gradually fall back to upper 1300's or should I keep it at 1600+ ?

Was looking at other rocks there were COVERED in this crap a few days ago and they look pretty clean. So glad this stuff is dieing off.

I would not do lights out since it's already dieing back. Are you running carbon? If you have carbon handy, I would run it just in case there are toxin released which could cause stress to corals. I would let mg stay for a few more days to be sure. After that, a couple water changes will probably naturally bring mg back down.

Looks like you are winning the battle. Nicely done!

Yup, have 3/4c of Rox .8 going in the BRS Rx. :beer:

Just exchanged it 3 days ago in anticipation of this crap dieing!

Be prepare for another type of algae showing up! After I get rid of mine: coralline and hair algae rapidly take its place. However, I consider both to be a lot more natural and I am actually happy to see them: They give the tank a more mature and natural look! Wouldn't you agree? :)

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

I think you are on your way!

Oh I can't wait for the coralline to take off!!

BTW, woke up this morning....I think this stuff is 99% gone.

Nice! Yes I think we want to see picture. :) You believe Tech-M is what kills it? How much do you have to use to raise Mg? :) Does it cost you a fortune?

Back