Sold everything

Let it be Ricky, I hope you are done venting....there are quite a few who tried to help you and you came back with criticism and sarcasm. Some were as frustrated trying to help you as you were trying to get your system under control. Good luck in the future, be careful as to whom you call clueless.

oh no mate im shocked, i thought you were getting there and im disappointed you have called it a day, all the best rick, good luck pal, as the capn said you can still browse here and pop on now and again, all the best again:(

Believe it or not Ricky but I was thinking of you this morning :) I realized I hadn't seen any posts from you lately and I wondered if you had given up.
I have to agree, at least in my experience, setting up a tank is a daunting task. Take a break if you don't have time now but I can almost guarantee when life slows down for you at least a little bit you will be back. Just think of what you already have learned (through trial and error) you will be that much further ahead next time. :)

"I prayed for God to make me a more patient person. He then instructed me to go setup a reef tank" :D

Seriously though, I do consider myself a patient person and this hobby has pushed me to the brink of throwing up my hands many times. This can be a frustrating hobby (especially for newbies) when you DO have the time to put into it.

At the very least, if you decide to try another stab at it, you'll know what you are in for.

Good Luck

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12440522#post12440522 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jimwat
"I prayed for God to make me a more patient person. He then instructed me to go setup a reef tank" :D

Amen..I think I'll use that in another thread if you don't mind.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12455126#post12455126 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rayoto
Amen..I think I'll use that in another thread if you don't mind.
:lol: Sure! I do not remember where, but I had heard this before (used with something other than "setup a reef tank").

You guys know me by now----and that I love to kid and joke around as long as it isn't personal
I just don't feel very good about what happened to Ricky here--becoming the butt of all the jokes he did(whether he deserved some of them or not :) ) He left very sadly and down on himself and the hobby. That really bothers me.

There are some posters on here that are downright ignorant, mean and abusive to others--and which seem to slip by the moderators sometimes(they can't catch everything)

Those are the guys I wouldn't mind signing a sorry you are leaving card :)

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12684587#post12684587 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
+2 Capn

I think this thread should be closed now anyway since ricky has left.

that is an excellent idea:smokin:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12677887#post12677887 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gws76
I"ve been wondering where ricky went, haven't had my dose of comedy in awhile. :)

No jab was meant by my comment Capn, just a little slap stick in remembrance of ricky. I must have been busy when he exited. I tried to help him a few times myself (as always, when I try to provide a little help if I have the required knowledge).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12686726#post12686726 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gws76
No jab was meant by my comment Capn, just a little slap stick in remembrance of ricky. I must have been busy when he exited. I tried to help him a few times myself (as always, when I try to provide a little help if I have the required knowledge).

No jab meant guys for sure--I was not judging anyone here---I tried to help R as much as you guys--maybe even more by private emails--but then I don't know that for sure;)
At the same time I have a little bit of conscience due to the nature of my profession---I have always felt I never "lost" a student----the system did--but I always tried my best not to personally.

I also participated in some joking just as much as the next person here.:rolleyes:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12684573#post12684573 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
I just don't feel very good about what happened to Ricky here--becoming the butt of all the jokes he did(whether he deserved some of them or not :) ) He left very sadly and down on himself and the hobby. That really bothers me.

There are some posters on here that are downright ignorant, mean and abusive to others--and which seem to slip by the moderators sometimes(they can't catch everything)
Capn - I love all your posts, but I can't agree with you here.

When Ricky says "you have the idiots like smspring, MrRoo, and others just like who answered on here I have never had them answer a post smspring puts plus one and he has no clue"

I think he is the one who shouldn't be posting. He clearly hears what he wants to hear and has a problem taking advice, and his insults are uncalled for.

I read A LOT of Ricky's posts and remember responding at least twice - one of the was answering his question on whether or not he should be using a skimmer! Sometimes the best thing we can do for someone is be honest.

All I can say is...before you click "Submit Reply" read your response again and imagine yourself receiving it and see how you feel about it. Personally, I skip questions that I think are redundant, obvious (to me), etc. because I am always afraid I might hurt others instead of helping them. One can be honest and still be nice. It all depends on how you phrase your responses. Let us be mindful of each others feelings from now on. Think of this forum as a support group, not a roast.

Whisperer... i couldn't agree more. That's why I spoke out. I saw a lot of people trying to help Ricky. I tried helping by responding to a few - despite my newness to the hobby and lack of knowledge. For him to come out with insulting comments just because a few guys give him feedback on how he takes advice (again, on something he doesn't want to hear)... is telling, and disappointing.

This is a FORUM - of course people are going to give conflicting advice, especially with this hobby.

Once thing I've learned on starting up a new tank is if someone chooses go with the exceptions, rather than the norms, he/she runs the risk of failing. Man, even trying to follow the norms, I'm learning it's a challenge, but a fun one indeed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12687359#post12687359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smspring
Capn - I love all your posts, but I can't agree with you here.

When Ricky says "you have the idiots like smspring, MrRoo, and others just like who answered on here I have never had them answer a post smspring puts plus one and he has no clue"

I think he is the one who shouldn't be posting. He clearly hears what he wants to hear and has a problem taking advice, and his insults are uncalled for.

I read A LOT of Ricky's posts and remember responding at least twice - one of the was answering his question on whether or not he should be using a skimmer! Sometimes the best thing we can do for someone is be honest.

Sorry smspring---I had no idea that he was being offensive in his posting---I do not condone that kind of posting from anyone here and I am not saying that R was an innocent victim here---rather he did say some pretty laughable stuff at times. I also give everyone here credit for the many times they tried to help him

I also agree that Whisperer sums it up great.

added to whisperers post is if you are joking to either add that or a smilie--we are all different reefers from many different cultures and backgrounds etc--what is funny to some of us might be taking the wrong way by others

I take back what i said earlier about closing this thread. You guys have done an excellent job in turning it around into something very positive and productive---and most importantly a learning experience

Back