solutions to agricultural runoff

uhuru

Hello, I'm doing some preliminary research on a possible term paper topic. If anyone has answers to these questions I would appreciate it.

What are the available solutions to agricultural runoff polluting coral reef ecosystems? How do these solutions affect land agriculture and economy? Are any of them being implemented, and what are the results so far?

nevermind??? why?? great topic imo

maybe water treatment plants of some kind?

change in fertalizers?

different disposal of waste?

recycle the runoff/water back to the farm?

indoor greenhouses instead of farms?

no dumping allowed?

taxation like gas/dry cleaning?

Best thing going would be buffer zones of natural vegetation that would suck up those excess nutrients from fertilizers and catch loose soil in the runoff water.

I was thinking along the same lines Bill. :) You might want to look at the natural buffers.. the riparian zones along streams and rivers.. the wetlands and estuary systems.. the saltmarsh zones. Those are all natural existing (well, hopefully existing) systems that make some use of those nutrients.

But.. the keyword you really want to search for is "stormwater retention" ponds, cachements, basins, etc. For example, this pond was just highlighted for the IRL update. There are many more like it and I'd love to see many more put in place in the future.

>Sarah

Look up 'green solutions'which include stream buffers and stormwater BMP's (best management practices) They are a compilation of various water runoff filtration techniques including bioretenions, infiltration and other detention facilities. However, for agriculture the two best solutions are stream buffers and the precise application of fertilizers.

-M

Better sewage treatment plants would help a lot. When i first started keeping a boat at the Jersey shore, the back bay smelled really bad at low tide. The problem was all the small sewage treatment plants for the old shore communities were only primary treatment plants. they just filtered out the big chunks. The rest went right into the tidal bay. thru the 80s as the beach towns expanded and grew, they upgraded to secondary treatment plants, which like our trickle filters convert the waste to nitrates and phosphates. but also sanitze with chlorine. big improvement, but it fed the algae like crazy.

So the next step should be tertiary treatment plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewage_treatment

which remove or mitigate much of the waste biproduct and return nearly potable water to the bay and river systems, which all flow to the ocean.

and if combined with artificial wetland eco systems, the effluent flowing thru the wetlands will be scrubbed of all waste by the plants and bacteria by the time it hits the river, lake, bay or oceans. We just can't keep dumping it all straight to the water systems. It is just too much.

Here is an interesting thawt for all the inland reefers living in cities along rivers with muni water supplies. Every river town puts it's drinking water intake plant on the upstream side of town, and its sewage discharge plant on the downstream side of the river. But how many towns are on those rivers? Every few miles? Lucky town at the mouth of the river,,, EHH??

Have a glass of water.

Back