Something my LFS told me, BS or truth?

I've seen an Achilles tang (that I was waiting to purchase) come into the lfs with no signs of Ich and be put straight into a tank with copper and other fish that showed no signs of Ich. A few days later the Achilles started showing spots.

So either the Achilles already had it in non visible areas such as the gills and then the Ich somehow traveled to the rest of the body under the skin as to not come in contact with the copper or the Ich was free swimming in the copper and not affected by the copper (the lfs had it at 0.5). I haven't been able to find an answer to this observation.

It's also worth noting that copper (but not cupramine) will destroy your biological filter (it will kill the bacteria). So you should also be doing an ammonia chelating agent or testing daily for ammonia (and changing water as appropriate).

I don't think you can use ammonia buffers with copper.

You can definitely do that, I do it all the time. You just have to treat with prime first, wait 24 hours, and then add cupramine.

For dechlorinating tap water? Sure. I thought you were talking about ammonia in an uncycled qt. Prime handles 3 things: ammonia, chlorine/chloramine, and metal.

I don't think you can add prime to a qt that is treated with copper to get rid of ammonia from fish waste because it does something to the copper as well.

When you can see the spot on the fish at LFS these fish has ich outbreak which means large number of parasities. So staying away without purchasing is the best choice. Even though you can't see white spot on fish, there can be ich parasite in fish as I mentioned before. Some fish store use Low salinity and copper in their system togehter with UV to prevent the outbreak. So fish seem spotless even though they have ich in their body. Tangs and butterfly are most prone to ich. In my case I cant seem to get rid of ich with QT alone.

I think you misunderstood me. Alot of the stuff you mentioned is the exact reason im saying to quarantine everything With proper application of TTM and observation.

Back