Son fed my fish for me this morning....

here's to hoping your tank just thinks its bloom season! Good luck and hope it all makes it. I've accidentally dropped in way way to much food before when a top came loose and I was shaking over the tank instead of into my hand. :(

A little update. Tank looked a little better this morning. It still stinks pretty bad and is water still has a brown tint to it but getting better. A blue green acro rtn'd on me but it's been doing this for a couple weeks now so not a big deal. Everything else looks to be ok just a little ****ed off. Did another 20g wc last night. I also took my reactors offline and going out they were completely clogged with debris from this incident. I emptied them, cleaned them out and packed 1 with fresh carbon and the other packed full of filter floss and a couple extra sponges. That looks like it's helping quite a bit. Hopefully the fresh carbon will help combat the fish stink and I can stop listening to my wife complain about it.

Sent from my who cares they all do it now.

So far no livestock deaths?

Nope none yet. My sunset dottyback was missing for a while then my wife spotted him. That's normal behavior though. I also couldn't find my YWG but I ended up finding him in a new hole that the pistol shrimp dug under the back of a rock. So far so good. I wish I had more 50 micron socks instead of just one. It clogs waaay to fast but they come in handy to polish the water.

Oh kids and their good intentions. My sister came home to see toy cars in the aquarium, and my nephew's little hands working hard to switch out the rotation on all of his toy cars. When asked, " what are you doing with all of your cars?" he answered " Mr. shrimp is cleaning them". Brilliant.

Oh kids and their good intentions. My sister came home to see toy cars in the aquarium, and my nephew's little hands working hard to switch out the rotation on all of his toy cars. When asked, " what are you doing with all of your cars?" he answered " Mr. shrimp is cleaning them". Brilliant.

Lol. My son thinks my cleaner shrimp is the best thing in the world. Yeah their intentions are usually good. I know he just wanted to feed the fish. At the time it wasn't so funny but after the fact it was pretty cute. he knows he did something wrong and we talked about later that night...well as much talking as you can do with a 2 year old before he was distracted by a cheese stick and a juice box.

I am in the process of setting up a 10g nano reef for him in the next couple days as long as he sleeps in his bed and not in the playroom and after i get my mess of a tank straightened out.

it will be fine... I have had tank panic like that too... know exactly wht it feels like... aghhhhh ! Its amazing how much they can process with a bacteria load, and as long as you are helping it out... !!! ITAG
(it's all good) it not the open ocean, thus the need for a little assistance...
but I still think its amazing how a stable system can recover from a mishap - as they should - in the old days, tank wipe-out was always knocking on the door... but we didnt have the knowledge or the sophisticated protein skimmers, and all the other gidgetwidgetgadgets either... we had our eyes and our noses.... - and some really dinky test kits with dissolve-able pills - that now you could take to Van Buren and make a fortune with hahahah

Unfortunately things aren't fine right now. I have 2.0-3.0 ammonia. Did the test twice. Dropped some more prime in the tank this time instead of in the wc water to bring it down. Aaaaaahhhh! I also lost one of ny favorite acros, a yellow milli and another acro. Fml

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318643881.324441.jpg

IMO a few major water changes are in order. I would not rely on the prime to fix the problem. I would be doing daily 50% water changes. That level of ammonia is no joke and you could be looking at an entire tank wipe out in the next few days if you dont act quickly. Good Luck, hope everyone pulls thru for you.

If you need to store a few corals in my tank until your tank is back in order let me know.

IMO a few major water changes are in order. I would not rely on the prime to fix the problem. I would be doing daily 50% water changes. That level of ammonia is no joke and you could be looking at an entire tank wipe out in the next few days if you dont act quickly. Good Luck, hope everyone pulls thru for you.

Ryan, I'm changing water as fast as I can make it. 20g a night and 5g in the morning. Prime is just something to hopefully bring it down a little. I'm definitely not relying on it. I'm running about 6 oz. Of carbon and changing every other day. My skimmer has been going nuts and I can't do anything about it, but it did help to clear the water the first day or 2 while draining into a bucket. I have changed well over 100% of the water thus far, obviously it's more of a dilution right now. I think I found the source of the problem in the refugium where he dumped the food. I started syphoning the sand and it was coming out dark brown/black and stinky. (it's a pretty fresh sand bed so it should t be this bad).

Chad I may take you up on that offer. I'll let you know. I might try fragging a couple corals that are encrusted to the rocks just in case. I have a frag rack I can put everything on. I'm not sure if this will cause more stress to them or not though. I'll be in touch with you if I can't bring the ammonia down a bit by morning.

Aye man sorry to hear about the ammonia, Good luck in getting it sorted. I would rec big water changes as wellLuckily my tank is high and the food is also kept far away, heres a pic to make you cringe, she is almost 1.5

2124e95ad5a49d99.jpg

Her brother 3.5 puts the tips of his fingers in the tank and i know he is too scared for anything more, his sister above i have no doubt will have no fear when she is older

IMO I would make a fresh batch of water, better yet get some water from a friends tank and remove all the corals into a temp holding container. They can go days with no light and a powerhead. This will give u time to fix your water. Good luck man.

Yikes, I hate hearing stories like this! So sorry, what a nightmare! :(

I've seen another thread where the same thing happened and they were advised that it they can't make RO quick enough to just use whatever they could. Large WCs with distilled, or even treated tap water, would be better than nothing right now. Good luck! *fingers crossed*

Thx guys. I'm filling up a 20g tank as we speak, I have been back and forth to the water store with 5 gallons jugs as well. Ammonia came down a little since last night. were at a 2.0 as it stands. I'm doing another 20g change here in the next hour or so. I moved a couple corals into a 10 g tank this morning and hoping for the best. Softies and lps don't seem to be affected right now so I will let them stay for a bit.

Aye man sorry to hear about the ammonia, Good luck in getting it sorted. I would rec big water changes as wellLuckily my tank is high and the food is also kept far away, heres a pic to make you cringe, she is almost 1.5

Her brother 3.5 puts the tips of his fingers in the tank and i know he is too scared for anything more, his sister above i have no doubt will have no fear when she is older

Thanks, My tank is on a 48" tall stand but the sump and fuge are down below where he put everything. I have a magnetic child lock on it but it didn't latch the night before. Probably a tiny bit of swelling from the heat we have had this week caused it not to close all the way. I should have double checked it :hammer:

Back