South OC Chloramine PSA

stephj03

Not sure how many others are on San Margarita Water district but I just got off the phone with them after a positive test on my source water and they told me they use chloramines and that chloramine levels in the water will likely be higher for the next few mo.

Thought I'd pass it along in case it's not common knowledge.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Yeah, they publish their water reports. They've used chloramines since I started checking. I got a chloramines add on canister and chloramines filter from brs.

Add-on canister is 27.99 and universal carbon block filter for chloramines is 16.99.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sucks, I'm in San Juan which didn't use them but we folded into RSM recently.

How big of a difference does it make having the big 20" vs using one of my 10" stages?

If it's linnear (20" lasts 2x as long) I mighy skip adding a stage.

Sucks, I'm in San Juan which didn't use them but we folded into RSM recently.

How big of a difference does it make having the big 20" vs using one of my 10" stages?

If it's linnear (20" lasts 2x as long) I mighy skip adding a stage.

I'm not sure tbh but a friend has one and if I recall they last approx 2 years between filter changes. I did notice a decrease in TDS entering my rodi after I installed it so prob also serves to prolong your filters and membrane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm using the BRS 4 stage value filter kit. Says its designed to treat water that is treated with chloramines. Am I good or do I need to get something else or add another canister to my 4 stage system?

So I'm using the BRS 4 stage value filter kit. Says its designed to treat water that is treated with chloramines. Am I good or do I need to get something else or add another canister to my 4 stage system?

If you are using the standard carbon filter you are going to have chloramines get past it. Thet are hard on your RO membrane and on your corals! I run two Chlorpus 10 filters in series, I remove the first filter in line every 1000 gallons and move the #2 filter into the #1 slot and put the new filter in the #2 slot.

I would expect this to be the trend as things open back up again. Usage on the commercial side went down a lot with a lot of the buildings sat empty. There was some concerns about residual reading when they open back up and additional flushing advisory that would have to be done. Old water = generally bad water.

Also, you're south county so chances are your water is coming from MWD, mostly surface water. I would guess that treatment would have to be boosted to account for seasonal factor. If they are doing chloramine then it would most likely be 5 to 1 (5 chlorine to 1 ammonia) to achieve breakpoint.

Just guessing...

If you are using the standard carbon filter you are going to have chloramines get past it. Thet are hard on your RO membrane and on your corals! I run two Chlorpus 10 filters in series, I remove the first filter in line every 1000 gallons and move the #2 filter into the #1 slot and put the new filter in the #2 slot.

Going to go ahead and order an add on canister for the BRS 4 stage kit as well as an additional 1 micron carbon block filter. Unfortunately BRS is out of stock on the add on canister until next week.

I'm setting up my new tank on Wednesday and will unfortunately have to use the water I have.

I was having problems that I could not figure out and my water was testing fine, adding the BRS Chloromine Monster seemed to fix the problems I was having and it lowered my Incoming TDS as well to prolong my other filters. I change the cartridge once every two years.

FYI the Chloromines are the worst when you first make water, so when you are having a problem and start doing massive water changes to combat you will find yourself making it worse. Something to think about when you do see your corals very ****ed off when you do a water change I would suspect Chloromines because generally my tank loves water changes.

When you get the BRS unit you will understand why they call it a Monster, and you need to make sure you have a place to put it.

Follow up question --

So are you replacing the standard universal carbon block with two of the chlorplus or are you still using a standard carbon block then the two additional chloramine removal blocks? I'm going to order two of the chlorplus' per your recommendation. Just trying to figure out if I still need to use the carbon block that comes with the standard BRS replacement filter set.

Follow up question --

So are you replacing the standard universal carbon block with two of the chlorplus or are you still using a standard carbon block then the two additional chloramine removal blocks? I'm going to order two of the chlorplus' per your recommendation. Just trying to figure out if I still need to use the carbon block that comes with the standard BRS replacement filter set.

I replaced the standard carbon filter with two chloramine filters. So I run a 5 micron sediment, two chloramine filters, the RO membrane, then two DI resin canisters.

I replaced the standard carbon filter with two chloramine filters. So I run a 5 micron sediment, two chloramine filters, the RO membrane, then two DI resin canisters.

Ok wow so 6 stages for you. Hmmm, now I'm wondering if I should get a second DI stage.

Ok wow so 6 stages for you. Hmmm, now I'm wondering if I should get a second DI stage.

The second DI canister is to get full use from your resin. When you only have a single resin canister you have to replace the resin before it is fully exhausted. When you have two canisters when you see your TDS number start to rise you remove the first canister and replace that resin and move the old number two canister into the number one slot and put the new resin into the number two position. That way the old resin gets fully used.

The second DI canister is to get full use from your resin. When you only have a single resin canister you have to replace the resin before it is fully exhausted. When you have two canisters when you see your TDS number start to rise you remove the first canister and replace that resin and move the old number two canister into the number one slot and put the new resin into the number two position. That way the old resin gets fully used.

Thanks for the explanation! I ordered the one additional canister and 2 chlorplus. I'ma get this installed and then probably add a 6th stage down the line.

Yeah I started doing this a while back as a failsafe, I just don't want to burn through DI resin and RO membranes for no reason.

Exactly why I use the chloramine filter. I'm good now for at least 70,000 gallons!

Back