spa hose

wallacefan

what type of silicone can i use on my spa hose for my return?
that is reef and fish safe?
does it have to be marine?
does anyone have another way of sealing the fittings on the spa hose?

thanx in advance

Mark

Silicone spa flex bonds.

I thought spa flex tubing was supposed to be either SS clamped onto barbed fittings or glued with heavy duty PVC glue? And if you needed to get the thing apart to clean it? Add a threaded coupling with teflon paste in the threads in the middle of the run if it's long was a good way to go.

Didn't know silicone aquarium glue would bond well enough to hold a bond since it's so flexible? I'd think the flexing and moving would lead to a failure of the silicone bond. But I've been wrong before.

+ 1 on the PVC glue. Silicone will not adhere to PVC and will ultimately fail under pressure. Its ok as a stop gap on a pin leak, however, should not be used as a permanent bond.

Most PVC glues will work on flexible PVC. However, flexible PVC requires a longer cure time so to get a good seal, you have to hold the joint longer. Or you can use the following glue (available at HD or Lowes) which has a very fast cure time and works best with spaflex:

http://www.oatey.com/Channel/Shared/ProductGroupDetail/164/PVC_Rain_R_Shine__Blue_Cement.html

Keep in mind, its bright blue (vs. clear) so drips, etc. will stain floors, etc.

I treated my spa flex just like it was normal PVC. I primed it and then used PVC cement, no issues or leaks over a year later.

thanx guys for sll the info will try i section this week
i need 7 feet of hose to get to sump and wanted to put the cuffed ends on the ose to make it seal better

You have to use barbed connectors and good hose clamps with the corugated sytle hose. But then it is still hard to get a good seal all the time. Good luck. theres a differance between spa hose and spa flex. Spa flex is a white smooth walled flexible pvc pipe thats glueable spa hose is not.

you can add cuffs that make it smooth bore and easy to clamp
but the cuffs srew on and need (glued) sealed
i used rtv on the ones i have now but i used stuff from lfs and wanted to use
something less expensive

Back