Splashless Bleach

sponger0

Well I bleached some rock and found out from someone local this stuff will kill your reef tank. Great!!! Luckily the live rock was free.

Anyone know of how to make this rock usuable or do I need to just trash the rock???

Negatory bro. Unlikes regular bleach this stuff has a detegent in it to thicken it up. Also it foams. Regular beach doesn't foam

You are supposed to use regular bleach and yes it is going to kill the rock. With regular bleach once it dries it is safe to use again.

The difference between regular and splashless seems to be the thickening agents. Cetyl betaine & Sodium xylene sulfonate

Randy probably can tell us one way or the other.

Pository broski. Wash the detergent off with a garden hose, let it dry, cook it, and don't use splashless bleach anymore.

That was pretty much what I was thinking but checking to see if anyone knew anything and also wanted to make others aware of this.

Could you try a muriatic acid bath or something to remove any layer of rock that has been contaminated by the bleach?

Could you try a muriatic acid bath or something to remove any layer of rock that has been contaminated by the bleach?

I honestly dont know. Due to the thickening agents of the bleach, im not sure how it is absorbed into the rock.

Granted its a thought....but Im not sure how that would affect the rock.

I honestly dont know. Due to the thickening agents of the bleach, im not sure how it is absorbed into the rock.

Granted its a thought....but Im not sure how that would affect the rock.
It could be a REALLY bad idea to to try that... muriatic acid is pretty strong stuff, and mixing it with the chemicals stuck in the rock could be a fatal type adventure from fumes and such...

Just my .02

You said the rock was free. With no known positively safe way of removing the contamination just toss it in the trash. You've got a lot of time, effort and money tied up in your system. Better safe than sorry.

Just my .02

You said the rock was free. With no known positively safe way of removing the contamination just toss it in the trash. You've got a lot of time, effort and money tied up in your system. Better safe than sorry.

I agree. I put this post up for 2 reasons. One to find out more about the splashless bleach that seems to be taking over the shelves in our stores and see if some possible way to make the rock usable

And 2, to make others aware of this to not make the same mistake I did.

Oh wow. I accidentally washed my filter socks with that stuff a few months back. The socks felt really 'crispy' afterwards so I thought better of using them again and had to trash about 6 filter socks. After reading this though I am glad I did! I had no idea that it was that dangerous!

Yeah it seems they are replacing the regular bleach with splashless in the store....so might wanna stock up on regular bleach while you still can.

After I had used this 'splashless bleach', i had went to a strictly saltwater LFS and just went in for some snails. I had asked about bleaching rock and the dry out process. The store owner has said you need to talk to "leaving person nameless" and this person was in the store. He is someone also local to me that sells alot of corals and so on but from his home. He told me he used this bleach. Put the rock in his tank and within 48 hours killed everything, including his $400 pair of clownfish. He said he had washed it in a 20 gallon tote over and over for 2 weeks and took a small piece into another tank and killed a fish in 24 hours.

Yesterday while the rock was drying I smelled it and you can smell an odor of detergent. And also it foams up. Which I thought was wierd initially. Didnt remember bleach foaming.

And 2, to make others aware of this to not make the same mistake I did.

As still a "kind of" newbie I can appreciate that. Mayby you could mention it in th NTTH forum. Seems like there's several threads a week about what to do with and how to clean rock. If I happen across one I'll mention it to them. I won't be able to claim first hand experience but I can certainly say to use regular not splashless bleach and the reason why.

It could be a REALLY bad idea to to try that... muriatic acid is pretty strong stuff, and mixing it with the chemicals stuck in the rock could be a fatal type adventure from fumes and such...

Well, I would certainly recommend doing it outside. I would hope he's not going to try it in a closet or something!!

The problem is you would have no way of knowing if the rock was ok even after you did it.

Back