spokane WA bans high phosphate laundry/dishwasher detergents and rinses

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
...as of mid Aug, I think; and the whole state of WA is on track to do the same thing.

In this case it's our Forests and Fish law: concern for the salmon and other commercial fishing plus environmental interests.

NY and several other states outright banned phosphates in detergents some 20 years ago. I think we've proved they aren't needed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13011351#post13011351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HippieSmell
Good. I hope they ban lawn fertilization in some areas too.

I'd like to see weed killer go along with that too. It always amazes me to see people dump lots of weed killer right on top of their wells :rolleyes:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13011911#post13011911 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billsreef
I'd like to see weed killer go along with that too. It always amazes me to see people dump lots of weed killer right on top of their wells :rolleyes:
Come on Bill, maybe the weed killer will run off and kill the algae bloom caused by the fertilizer? That's just the balance of nature right there. ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13013269#post13013269 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HippieSmell
Come on Bill, maybe the weed killer will run off and kill the algae bloom caused by the fertilizer? That's just the balance of nature right there. ;)

:lol:

As Wendell Berry put it: Most people know better than to p1ss in their own cistern, but they'll pay good money for somebody else to do it.

... nature has her own way of balancing out, we still haven't offed the polar bears. I think it'll be fine.

Chicago banned phosphates 20 years ago there was a news report several months ago about most stores still selling phosphate detergents in Chicago and when the head of the Chicago Department of the Environment was questioned about this he had no idea the stuff was banned.

So good luck with your ban.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13086288#post13086288 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Scott M
... nature has her own way of balancing out, we still haven't offed the polar bears. I think it'll be fine.
I forgot about that new study linking the decline of polar bear populations to increased phosphates. It turns out phosphates make polar bear's fur brown, which absorbs more sunlight than white fur. That in turn heats the surrounding ice, thereby destroying polar bear habitat. Luckily, elevated CO2 counteracts the effects of phosphates on the bear's fur. It's a delicate balance.

:rolleye1:

I have kids, and I seriously worry about what kind of world they will have to live in. It used to be assumed that we would pass a better world to our children. Somewhere along the line it became an acceptable assumption that every generation should expect a diminished world to live in.

DNickell, as mentioned in the recycling thread, we do not allow poltical posts on Reef central. I have edited the political portion out of this post. Continued political posts could very well lead to the loss of your posting privileges here on RC.

George
RC Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Back