Spot on my new fish

Perhaps speaking with the store manager could get you a refund or replacement.

Before you by another, check to see if any other LFS offer any type of guarantee on their fish. One thing I like about Tropi-Aquatics, is if you are a member ($10 per year - gets 10%), you have a three day guarantee on the fish. I'm not sure if other LFS have this or not.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15581562#post15581562 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk
It's dead?

Well, it went under a rock pile last night and hasn't come out. It was laying upside down and didn't respond to anything going on around it. I tried to coax it out of there with some food, so I assume it's dead. It's pale and listless...

I spent about an hour trying to siphon it out from under the rock, then it disappeared. I must have pushed it in to a hole, or so I thought.

I gave up.

.... Then, I come around to the front of the tank to see if I could find it from a different angle, sure enough there it is, laying front and center, breathing hard with my cleaner shrimp picking at him.

Hospital tank, or not? The stress might kill him. I don't even know what I'd treat him for. The only benefit would be that I can feed him easier, that is if he survives the transfer.

I believe CR stands by their guarantee with is 72 hrs & with the trouble you've been having, they should replace it.

Did you read this part:

"Then, I come around to the front of the tank to see if I could find it from a different angle, sure enough there it is, laying front and center, breathing hard with my cleaner shrimp picking at him.

Hospital tank, or not? The stress might kill him. I don't even know what I'd treat him for. The only benefit would be that I can feed him easier, that is if he survives the transfer."

What do you think? I'm stumped.

I don't think I want to go through this trouble again with another one. I've had bad luck with these Midas Blennys.

Also, I feel real stupid going in there with 2 consecutive failures. I'm sure they deal with plenty of people who provide horrible living conditions with horrible water quality, but my tank kicks butt.

Believe me, just go in--those guys are really nice there. They need to know they had 2 losses from the same batch. They'll stand behind it.

Great, so he went and crawled back under that rock, and now I see some snails going to town on him. I can't get him from under there, so I hope they do a sufficient job of removing him before he starts to decompose. Either that or push him to a spot that I can reach him.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15582638#post15582638 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk
They'll stand behind it.

I would hope so! 2 fish from the same batch to 1 person, how many others met the same fate! There is noway a tank as pristine looking as yours (talking from all the pics) could cause that twice! Sorry for your losses!

You don't necessarily need a body for a credit. I have often told them about my cleanup crew & they'll understand.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15583959#post15583959 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk
You don't necessarily need a body for a credit. I have often told them about my cleanup crew & they'll understand.

Good, because I woke up to just a head with a hermit on it. I don't see anything left other than that.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15585251#post15585251 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mr. Thingdoer
2 hour drip

.....its possible that's your issue

if the LFS is running a lower salinty its important that u double check it before u add the fish....a 2hr drip unless u are changing out 6x the volume wont correct SG

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15586234#post15586234 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mm949
.....its possible that's your issue

if the LFS is running a lower salinty its important that u double check it before u add the fish....a 2hr drip unless u are changing out 6x the volume wont correct SG
How would you go about correcting this? 2 hours would seem okay, How long?

Theirs is at 1.018. Is a 2 hour drip not addequate? If its not, then why does dfs recomend one hour, and every other resource I've found recommend 2 hours. I'm willing to bet 75% of the hobbyists float acclimate with success. I can't imagine that with even 1 drop per second you wouldn't reach 1.025 in two hours. I thought I was erring on the side of caution here.

Last edited:
Now, I'm just PO'ed about the guy who said a 2 hour drip was what killed the fish!

That's ridiculous, especially coming from an aquatics broker.

Back