SPS corals going down hill (lots of pics)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12539023#post12539023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tu Ku
That you have different species of corals being killed off at the same rate and starting at the same time means it's something external like an equipment malfunction or chemical. But since you can't find anything obviously wrong probably means it's smaller than that. I would be looking very close inside the display and sump to see if I might have knocked a screw or nut or washer, maybe even a coin into the system somewhere. Just my 2 cents.

I searched high and low and din't see anything so far. but did add some poly filter so will have to see if that changes color.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12539023#post12539023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tangdiver
Stray voltage...ask Travis...alot of what you have on Monti he had a while ago. Also large amounts of phos loc could cause RTN in my opionion...and I think Travis would say the same.

Not a bug deal...you got most from me...so not sure...

Grant

I didn't think it would be a bug prob. like you said most of the corals I have are from you, and I have treated them and any other corals I got the same why you tought me.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12539023#post12539023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by polywise
late question, but how old are your bulbs?
my bulbs are 5 monthes old

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12540159#post12540159 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chingchai
How old is your tank?
IMO, your corals don't look quite healthy in the beginning.
Stress is the only thing I can think of.
It is not the disease but it can spread one to another.
If I were you, I will take out all the bad one.
And frag all the still looking good corals.

Tank is about 2 years old

what is it about my before pic.s that make the corals not look healthy?

I am gonna trim off all the dead bleached parts this weekend.

as for the stray voltage, I am guessing the grounding probe doesn't work with the voltage in the tank and only alows me from getting shocked?

but I am gonna pick up a volt meter tommrow and test my water with it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12542364#post12542364 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
...but I am gonna pick up a volt meter tommrow and test my water with it.

Exactly which voltmeter are you going to use?

No, you need a digital volt meter to do this. You can buy a cheap one at Harbor Freight.

Things to check, which you've already began to do:

Salinity - same thing happened to me, except my tank was 1.021sg / make sure you are calibrating it to 35ppt, and not to 0 using distilled or RO water.

Stray electricity - I found it was quite high, and am in the process of replacing quite a few small pumps with one external pump pushing into a manifold.

Iodine - tested my tank and it was .06 when it should be .03 with the kit I used. I'm dosing 7 drops a week (1 per 50g).

Potassium - bought kit but haven't tested yet.

Lighting - cracked bulbs, dirty reflectors, weak ballasts. I just did a big upgrade on my lighting.

Temperature stability - try to keep that one under observation

Possible pests - seen anything that could be doing damage? Dipping would be best for those infected corals.

Water parameters - double check all your readings, even having someone else like Grant test with your kits or his own. Better to compare those numbers than to assume they are correct. Kits can go bad as they age.

Alleopathy - leathers attacking SPS corals, anemones releasing toxins in the water, mushrooms stinging neighbors...

It looks like you are getting plenty of help in this thread, and I hope you find the cause.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12541066#post12541066 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MammothReefer
I had a similar issue, it was electricity in the tank, the wire on one of my heaters got exposed, and was putting electricity in the tank, you could only see it if you wiggled the wire a bit.... I finally figured it out when when I zapp'd myself one day.

Yep what I thought....

Not for nothing,but my friend had a party one time,& all his coral started checkin out.

2 weeks later,& a few colonies shorter we found a penny in his sump.

Sorry man this sux whatever it is.Good luck.

thanks Marc, I am starting to do those things also. however, since I don't add Iodine, or potassium would you still recommend me to get tests and test for them?

I also ended up getting a digital volt meter today
CIMG5196.jpg

I set it up to the second mark to the right, grounded the black wire, and put the red wire in the tank. and got a reading of 14.7

now with everything unplugged I still get a reading of 3.0?

what gives?

Was the ground probe disconnected and even removed from the tank?

I had the same situation with a residual 2.3v for some reason with everything else extracted.

Getting it down to 3v would be a good plan. I read about how some power can be measured in the water even with no direct contact. I didn't quite believe it, but it was like via osmosis some power would be transmitted into the water from the energy passing through the lightbulbs above. :confused:

OK, here is the deal, whoever rewired this house when they went from fuses to breakers did a very poor job.

I had a friend come over today who is an electrician, and we went through a lot of things to find out only a couple of my outlets in this house are grounded. and because I never had a volt meter before, and the outlets were 3 pronged I didn't think anything of it. so the grounding prob was plugged in but wasn't doing a dang thing because the outlet wasn't even grounded.

so it was the outlet that was putting volts into the water, as we took my return pump, plugged it straight into the outlet and it read 13 volts. then we plugged the same return pump into the grounded outlet and got a reading of .1.

after doing a little wiring and such, just to get the tank back running with it plugged into a actual grounded outlet. we get .1 -.7 volts with the meter now. I am guessing that is ok to have?

So tomorrow he is going to stop back over after work and we are going to run a dedicated circuit to the tank so that it will be grounded.

the weird part about all this is, how come my leather and LPS corals seemed fine with the 14 volts? and why didn't I get shocked when I put my hand in the water?

well hopefully that was the problem and we will get it fixed correctly.

now as for the corals, some of the acro's and millie's will have to be fragged but how about the caps, they are not really bleached but a grayish color, will it recover or will they still need to be fragged?

I am also guessing this is the reason why my corals didn't seem to grow very fast.

once again I am thanking all of you for the help so far, this has been killing me for a while and it almost got to the point where I wanted to stop the hobby. but besides my wife, aquariums are my life.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12546917#post12546917 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tangdiver
Yep the leather....I will take it when you need a home.

Grant

hehehehehehehe

Grant trust me, you would deff. be the first person I would talk to about taking the leather. but you would have to promise that you wouldn't frag it lol. as you know he is my baby :lol:

I only got shocked when my hand was in the water, and I was pulling it out and my elbow touched my pendant while my arm was still in the water... (creating a circuit), the worst time is my whole arm was wet...once (not just my hand).. and WOW almost tossed me from the chair i was standing on... I have a feeling I have the same problem as you bad grounds, in the unit I'm renting.. I've been meaning to crawl underneath and double ground the prob by screwing it into the metal casing around the socket..but since I Removed the offending heater, and replaced all "suspicious", pumps things have been good...but I had the same issue, where some stuff was effected, other stuff wasn't... Montis were a tell tell, sign for me.

Last edited:
well I'm glad your shock didn't do a lot worse to you, glad your safe. I am just glad I didn't get any huge shock now that I know I could have gotten a decent size one. there was one time when testing the water the volt meter got up to 57 volts, ouch.

I am also renting and after talking to my friend about the wiring he said if I was buying this house rather than renting, I would be better off running all new electrical through the house.

and well since I am only renting this house my friend is just going to rewire a new 20 amp circuit just for my fish tank, so at least that will be much more safe.

Back