SPS corals going down hill (lots of pics)

I'll give you my thoughts.
Agree with possible electricity or voltage bleed possible.
Agree you could have shocked them chemically.
I skimmed through the posts. Are you using 2 part and mag recipe?
I was dosing the 2 part from vendor I will not mention and I doubt their purity is what they say. My tank was rock solid and thing started to deteriorate. Before it was too late, I have kicked the 2 part and am dosing kalk via make up water and addition. Tanks have turned around.
BTW.
I have legions of SPS with numerous leathers (12)and softies(18+) and have for a long time so I do not believe that chemical warfare (Alleopathy) thing is nothing more than lore. In a non-skimmed, non-waterchanged, non-carbon/GFO used tank I might buy into the lore. I'm not convinced it has any impact compared to electrical, nutrient, or chemical poisoning/imbalace/shocking.

Good Luck &
Hope you figure it out.

I am using a cal. reactor for my cal. and alk. but for mag. I have been using mag pellets, I bought a 50lb bag of it 1 year ago. as for if I need to boast my cal. and alk. I use baking soda for alk. and I have had some DOW from a long time ago.

one more update, had the circuit ran for the fish tank, and now instead of getting 14-31 volts testing the water, I now get .5 volts and that is without the grounding probe :D

I know most of the acros will have to be trimmed a good deal. but do you think the monti caps will recover?

also should I be doing much more or do you think this was my problem all along?

Thanks again all.

Never ever give up on a polyp of M cap. As I posted in my thread tonight, even a single polyp can turn into something nice one day:

mcap_robert_0516.jpg

Congrats on the new circuit. Sounds like your tank will now be on the road to recovery.

Yep agree with the single polyp...have quite a few...one is the ling sey cap (spelling)

Also had a feeling on the voltage....but not alot of people believe me until I hook up a volt meter...damn know it all aquaists.

Grant

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12543099#post12543099 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
No, you need a digital volt meter to do this. You can buy a cheap one at Harbor Freight.

Things to check, which you've already began to do:

Salinity - same thing happened to me, except my tank was 1.021sg / make sure you are calibrating it to 35ppt, and not to 0 using distilled or RO water.
What do you use to calibrate? I've always used RO water....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12562663#post12562663 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Goodwin9
Sam..were you able to determine where the stray voltage was coming from?

the stary voltage, amazingly as it sounds was comming from the outlet itsself. none of the equipment was faulty.

we unplugged everything, then plugged the return pump back in only, and got a reading of 18 volts, checked the wireing on the pump and it was all good, plugged the return pump into a diff. outlet that was wired good, and got a reading of 0 volts :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12562668#post12562668 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Goodwin9
What do you use to calibrate? I've always used RO water....

I used to always use rodi water to calibrate my refractometer, but for the past year I have been using the pinpoint calibration fluid. I did notice my refractometer was about 3-4 points diff. from the rodi water from the pinpoint fluid.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12560197#post12560197 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tangdiver
Yep agree with the single polyp...have quite a few...one is the ling sey cap (spelling)

Also had a feeling on the voltage....but not alot of people believe me until I hook up a volt meter...damn know it all aquaists.

Grant

Grant, you are the man :D your head is gonna explode soon with all that knowledge :lol: but I am really greatful for the help.

No, just hurts that I am in a field that does not pay that well or when people are not open to suggestions. It can be very depressing sometimes. Oh, well all is back on track.

thanks for the nice thoughts.

Grant

So how were you using the multimeter, when I had my problems I tried mine and couldn't get it to work correctly.. Are you putting both probes in the water? One probe in the water 1 grounded outside the tank? What setting ect ect..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12566747#post12566747 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MammothReefer
So how were you using the multimeter, when I had my problems I tried mine and couldn't get it to work correctly.. Are you putting both probes in the water? One probe in the water 1 grounded outside the tank? What setting ect ect..

I set mine to 200 volts (lowest setting on mine), put the black wire in a grounded outlet (actually had to use a heavy duty extension cord to get a grounded outlet to reach to the tank)and the red wire in the water.

make sure if you have a grounding probe that it is taken out.

Back