SPS grown from a single polyp?

Bigmike

So, have you guys ever lost one of your favorite sps frags to rtn because your tank goes through a mini crash? Then, have you just left your dead white skeleton in your tank because it hurts too much to actually admit that you failed? Then you get excited when your tank comes back online and all your colonies return back to their former glory... except for that one frag that you lost in your mini crash :(

... BUT WAIT... what's that small, bright, BRIGHT, blue tip on the now algae covered skeleton of your once lovely enchinata!?!?!

Somehow 1 polyp of my ice fire survived impending death!!! Now, I am DETERMINED to grow this little guy back into a beautiful colony!

Anyone else have a similar story? Anyone have pictures of their COMPLETELY tank raised sps from a single polyp?

Happened to me before. I bought a SPS frag from reef convention and it RTN'ed on me while driving back home. I left it in my tank for a few days and one day, I shined a flashlight and I noticed a tiny brown polyp among a snow white skeleton

It took 6 months to finally encrust 1/16"... Been trying to take a picture of it to document its progress but I lack a camera that's good at taking a macro pictures...

Nice save, Mike! Yes, I have seen it happen with Acropora, Montopora, Porites, and even larger polyped genera like Montastraea. Scleractinian corals are resilient little bast*rds when they get the right conditions, 245 million years and counting.

My guess is if you look close, you'll already see a margin around the live tissue indicating encrustation, if you haven't already seen it. :)

Good luck!

Ive seen it happen, but never intentionally lol

I once made some one polyp frags, all died lol but then I have some tips broken from glass cleaning and such, they fall into the rock work and I frget about it, till I view the tank up down a few weeks later, and see it encrusting and actually growing out of the rock work.

Im gonna continue making frags un-intentionally lol

Both of these, the one on the right and the left came back from what appeared to be nothing, no color or polyps and the colony was removed from the rock. It has taken a little more than a year to get to this point.
DSCF2370a_zps55dcfae1.jpg

Isn't there a guy from portigual on this site that grows all of him frags from a single polyp? There is a big write up on it, pretty sweet. Slightly different then your situation, his is intentional, but it does work. Hope you have no other issues and it regains its grandeur.

I had an OT that died from shipping stress and rtn'd down to one polyp. That polyp stayed intact but eventually that algae got it.

I have however fagged about 1/4 of an inch and got the coral to come back. I think you might be good as long as you can keep the algae from it.

If it makes you feel better, I bought a MR PacMan Acro and it came in slightly bigger than that. I wont say who but it has been battling the Algae on the plug.

I thought it was funny when i read your Ice Fire is making a comeback. Mine did the same thing!

Here is mine. I thought I had lost the dang this and was about to throw mine out until I saw what you did, a tiny blue polyp peeking through! It's a tough little bugger that's for sure! Good luck with yours!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369440837.172496.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369440837.172496.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 0
I have a serial that started from a single polyp. Now there are about 15. It refuses to die. I suspect that when they spawn they will at some point have only one polyp..
So, have you guys ever lost one of your favorite sps frags to rtn because your tank goes through a mini crash? Then, have you just left your dead white skeleton in your tank because it hurts too much to actually admit that you failed? Then you get excited when your tank comes back online and all your colonies return back to their former glory... except for that one frag that you lost in your mini crash :(

... BUT WAIT... what's that small, bright, BRIGHT, blue tip on the now algae covered skeleton of your once lovely enchinata!?!?!

Somehow 1 polyp of my ice fire survived impending death!!! Now, I am DETERMINED to grow this little guy back into a beautiful colony!

Anyone else have a similar story? Anyone have pictures of their COMPLETELY tank raised sps from a single polyp?

I had something very similar happen. I lost a ponape rainbow frag about a year ago due to a power outage. Rather than leaving the dead frag in place I removed it from the tank. A few months later I noticed one, literally one little green polyp growing on the LR. Now that polyp is many and the coral is about the size of a quarter. It has colored up well but hasn't sprouted any branches yet. It's kinda buried between two colonies and is in a spot that is pretty tough to get a pic.

Don't remember what this is, but during a spike of sorts it started stn quick. There was a little flesh left on one side toward the bottom so I cut it off and glued it to the rock. So far so good in my opinion.

006_zpsfe496864.jpg

Back