Starfish

puffer21

Well im really intersting in getting a star fish. Are they any good stars that do well in tanks other than the brittle star it is a little to scary for me.
Thanks Puffer21

Well, there are stars which you can feed, like the chocolate chip star, that will also eat your corals, or there are several types of other stars - blue linkia, orange linkia (not really a linkia), linkia multiflora, and some smaller orange ones that are readily available from stores. Unfortunately, no one really knows what any of these eat - they're not threats to corals, and it's believed they eat surface films. Unfortunately, length of survival seems directly proportional to tank size, and with a 29 gallon tank, you'd probably be looking at less than 6 months before they'd starve to death. :(

Kevin

What do chocolate chip stars eat. Can that go in a 29 i dont have corals and i dont plan to for awhile just an anemone. I want 2 clowns, 2 clown goby, candy pistol shrimp yabhsa goby, snails, hermits and an emraled crab can they all live together?
Thanks puffer21

A chocolate chip star is predatory. I've never kept one, so I don't know the compatibility issues with anemones. You might want to post in the clownfish and anemone forum and ask about that combination there.

Kevin

Stars are interesting, but they are problems, and do damage to corals. Wait until your tank is a few years old before considering a linkia, which is the only reef-safe star I know of.

Back