Starting 90g Reef Tank Build... Finally!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12950499#post12950499 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
Scott, are you still planning on plumbing it externally?

I'm leaving straight from work today, heading to a baseball game, and probably won't be back until around 9:30. Depending on how quickly you would like to get the skimmer set up... my skimmer could use a good cleaning, so I could break it all down, and put it back together piece by piece for you and take some pictures to help you set it up.

thanks TJ--not to rush--its hasn't even arrived and the way things have been going it might not get here till Friday ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12950581#post12950581 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
Oh, and I noticed once again I am starting to get that red "puff" algae in my refugium again. My cheato still grows fairly rapidly, but I have noticed it has lost it's bright green color over the last month.

After reading one of Marc's threads or articles on feeding I think the issue may be that I am not turning off my overflow before feeding my tank. Therefore, a good amount of food is being sucked down into the refugium and feeding the nuisance algae.

For the next few weeks, I'm going to shut off my overflow everytime I feed the tank and see what type of effect that has on the refugium. I'm also wondering if I should cut back my lighting to 8 or 10 hrs from 12?

I still get that stringy red algae too but it doesn't explain the yellowing of your macro.
I run my lighting for 18 hours 6 hours off.
Marc also made the point that you need to harvest alot of chaeto everyweek in order for it to grow quickly and as a result use up the phosphates

Are you turning the macro algae ball once a week--I find the yellow occuring on the surface and I think it is because the density of the chaeto is forced slightly above the water line
Again, harvesting a huge quantity out of it makes it grow better and quicker

Yeah I shake it and turn it more frequently now since I noticed the color fading. Like I said though, it's still growing, and I plan on harvesting it every 2 weeks now. I let it fill the fuge, then rip it down to a baseball size... lather, rinse, repeat.

I wonder if I should change the bulb?

Also, it stays at the surface... whereas my caulerpa usually stayed below the water line. Maybe I'll try and anchor it down tonight. It doesn't tumble in my fuge anyway.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12950703#post12950703 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
Yeah I shake it and turn it more frequently now since I noticed the color fading. Like I said though, it's still growing, and I plan on harvesting it every 2 weeks now. I let it fill the fuge, then rip it down to a baseball size... lather, rinse, repeat.

I wonder if I should change the bulb?

Also, it stays at the surface... whereas my caulerpa usually stayed below the water line. Maybe I'll try and anchor it down tonight. It doesn't tumble in my fuge anyway.

two big factors I didn't mention that helped get rid of cyano and that ulgy stringy red macro
I've added lots of live rock to the fuge in question and I added a Koralia number 1 which helps the water circulate through faster.

Remember at first I was getting alot of flake food coming in from the display tank and as a result cyano. I think the live rock bacteria are now acting on the flake food and the increased circulation is removing any of the rest of it

Is this in your large tote fuge?

I don't have a whole lot of room in my refugium, and would be a little leary of the cheato becoming caught in the powerheard.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12940510#post12940510 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
I will talk to him tomorrow morning for you when they open up

If he wont ship them reasonably for you then I will. It can't be that much---I have had alot of beatles albums shipped to me from the UK through ebay auctions very reasonably

well thats very nice of you scott, however ive looked into the north american market and with p&p they would work out about £40-£45-00 which is a lot cheaper than whats at my lfs, but as i mentioned earlier i can get them for £45.00 plus £4.50 p&p, bearing this in mind and the fact that i wouldnt want you to go to too much trouble i will get 1 for the £45.00 from e-bay, i am however very pleased and extremely grateful that you were prepared to do this for me and consider you a good key board friend and decent sort of bloke i consider a personal friend, thankyou very much scott:)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12951310#post12951310 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michael
well thats very nice of you scott, however ive looked into the north american market and with p&p they would work out about £40-£45-00 which is a lot cheaper than whats at my lfs, but as i mentioned earlier i can get them for £45.00 plus £4.50 p&p, bearing this in mind and the fact that i wouldnt want you to go to too much trouble i will get 1 for the £45.00 from e-bay, i am however very pleased and extremely grateful that you were prepared to do this for me and consider you a good key board friend and decent sort of bloke i consider a personal friend, thankyou very much scott:)

any time I can help--right back at you as far as friends and decent blokes.:cool:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12951130#post12951130 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
Is this in your large tote fuge?

I don't have a whole lot of room in my refugium, and would be a little leary of the cheato becoming caught in the powerheard.

both fuges have live rock and deep sand beds---I can't take a picture of the tote but it has live rock and lots of reef rubble

this this picture I have added another 20 lbs and all that cyano is gone along with that red stringy algae.

DSC_0370.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12952384#post12952384 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
did you run the powerhead in both of them, or just the one?

I still have the flow from the drain going to the 37gal high refugium first so it was getting flake food in it after feedding
That's the one I put the power head in.

BTW
the macro in the second tote has really died back since the macro algae is doing so well in the first fuge.

re energy saver bulbs --have you seen anywhere were they have to be replaced before they burn out--like the halides and attinics do?

looking for some clubhouse help, any decent links to t-5 install instructions( the ones from reefgeek were ok..)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12955292#post12955292 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kudora
looking for some clubhouse help, any decent links to t-5 install instructions( the ones from reefgeek were ok..)

right here in the clubhouse--go back a few pages to TJ's index after the split
he has step by step with pictures

might not be finding that section, he has them on the floor then they are on the tank. i am going to wait a day and take 1/4 piece of wood and construct it with the t-5 on it then connect it to my canopy. that way i am not kinda eye balling everything since my tank is 60" and the t-5s are only 48"

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12955292#post12955292 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kudora
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12955895#post12955895 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kudora
might not be finding that section, he has them on the floor then they are on the tank. i am going to wait a day and take 1/4 piece of wood and construct it with the t-5 on it then connect it to my canopy. that way i am not kinda eye balling everything since my tank is 60" and the t-5s are only 48"
That's what I did. I measured the width, then used 2 strips of wood, and mounted the standoffs to the strips of wood. That way I only had to measure and line up the pieces of wood, not every standoff. I just mounted the standoffs sided by side, so they stayed in a straight line on the piece of wood.

Here's a sketch of basically what I'm talking about.

untitled-23.jpg

If you look closely at the top of the picture you can see the standoffs mounted on the piece of wood.

6543.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12956933#post12956933 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Where are your reflectors, TJ?
That picture was taken before I installed the canopy on the tank just to make sure everything fit, and the ballasts fired up. I was lazy and didn't stick the reflectors on for the picture.

They're on now though, and are the IceCap SLR reflectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back