Starting 90g Reef Tank Build... Finally!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hope that ato works for ya, waiting to see what ya do before i bite the bullet and buy one.

T-5s get here tomorrow(or thats what ups url is saying) so i bought a couple of additions to the tank but they are still semi closed so no pics yet :bum:

For my ATO, I went with a double float from autotopoff.com. Basically one serves as a backup. And being even more paranoid about a flood, I have the makeup water entering through a manual float valve, above the float switches. I'm still in the tank build process so haven't fully tested it out.

I do have a similar setup to fill my brute conainer from RO via a solenoid that's been testing great. The float switches are setup using a latching relay. The reason for the latch is to not have the RO unit run every time a little water evaporates or is used for topoff. Basically 2 float swtiches, one near the bottom and one at my desired water level. Evaporation or topoff happens until the bottom float is dry. Water fills until it reaches the top float. Cycle repeats and I have it set to keep only 5 gallons at a time.

From the Brute, water flows into a kalk reactor via an aqualifter, which is controlled by the float switches in my sump, mentioned earlier. In theory, it should all work. :confused: :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12949222#post12949222 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
:thumbsup:

I figured it's something everyone would enjoy.

Its got along way to go to beat Rae's thread for laughs;)

My msx250 skimmer should be here by tomorrow. That's been a real hassle in communication with these guys.

The pbt is still in qt --this will be three weeks--with no signs of ich.
Its awaiting the protein skimmer too before I add it to the display tank.

Well that's good news. That stinks about the communication, I can't really relate as my order process went smoothly. I can only guess that the skimmer's growing popularity has put them way beyond their capabilities.

I just checked the MSX skimmer thread the other day, and the member I usually would go to for skimmer advice (luke33) has apparently "moved on" ???

When you get it, I still suggest opening the pump carefully to check the mesh job, and posting a picture of it (side and top view) on the thread for review. Along with perfoming the other mods I suggested. I think it will be easier to do before you drop it in the sump.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12949549#post12949549 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
Well that's good news. That stinks about the communication, I can't really relate as my order process went smoothly. I can only guess that the skimmer's growing popularity has put them way beyond their capabilities.

I just checked the MSX skimmer thread the other day, and the member I usually would go to for skimmer advice (luke33) has apparently "moved on" ???

When you get it, I still suggest opening the pump carefully to check the mesh job, and posting a picture of it (side and top view) on the thread for review. Along with perfoming the other mods I suggested. I think it will be easier to do before you drop it in the sump.

wow--Luke33 has been banned--that's a shock

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12949549#post12949549 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8

They are adverising new pinwheels or something free with the new shipment of msx's. Is this what you mean?

to quote from the web site

"The MSX skimmers are now plug'n'play! We have addressed the early start up issues that many experienced. We use three layers of Enkamat on the mesh mod. We are also including some replacement Enkamat in each package in case you ever need to "recharge" your skimmer
www.marinesolutions.com

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12949772#post12949772 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
They are adverising new pinwheels or something free with the new shipment of msx's. Is this what you mean?
Yeah, pinwheels just recently became available for the MSX skimmers. Usually they are not as good as the mesh wheels on most pumps, but with the sicce pump the pinwheel is supposed to work almost as well as the meshwheel... or at least advertised that way.

Check the MSX thread, and solicit some opinions from some members who have tested both, and see what their recommendations are.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12949783#post12949783 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
to quote from the web site

"The MSX skimmers are now plug'n'play! We have addressed the early start up issues that many experienced. We use three layers of Enkamat on the mesh mod. We are also including some replacement Enkamat in each package in case you ever need to "recharge" your skimmer
www.marinesolutions.com [/B][/QUOTE...suprised and everything was AOK upon arrival.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12949809#post12949809 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
No offense Cap... but take that with a grain of salt. I would still double check everything. The last thing you want is a pump with a crappy mesh job, which can either break apart and wreck the pump, or cause start-up issues with the pump.

I don't consider ANY skimmer out of the box plug n' play. That's just me though.

Plus since this was the first skimmer I was spending a decent amount of money on... I wanted to make sure it was right. I was nervous, since I new they were overloaded with demand, that they would rush the mesh jobs and their quality would suffer. However, I was pleasantly suprised and everything was AOK upon arrival.

I will look forward in appreciation to your expertise when inspecting and setting up the new skimmer:thumbsup:

TJ--do you have a webcam---I am trying to set mine up and need someone to connect with to test it out. I got the cam so I can video talk to my grandkids but that was 5 weeks ago since they moved

Nope, sorry bout that. I definitely don't have one. For the last few months I have been stuck to using my work laptop for everything since my home computer went down.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12950466#post12950466 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
I will look forward in appreciation to your expertise when inspecting and setting up the new skimmer:thumbsup:
Scott, are you still planning on plumbing it externally?

I'm leaving straight from work today, heading to a baseball game, and probably won't be back until around 9:30. Depending on how quickly you would like to get the skimmer set up... my skimmer could use a good cleaning, so I could break it all down, and put it back together piece by piece for you and take some pictures to help you set it up.

Oh, and I noticed once again I am starting to get that red "puff" algae in my refugium again. My cheato still grows fairly rapidly, but I have noticed it has lost it's bright green color over the last month.

After reading one of Marc's threads or articles on feeding I think the issue may be that I am not turning off my overflow before feeding my tank. Therefore, a good amount of food is being sucked down into the refugium and feeding the nuisance algae.

For the next few weeks, I'm going to shut off my overflow everytime I feed the tank and see what type of effect that has on the refugium. I'm also wondering if I should cut back my lighting to 8 or 10 hrs from 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back