Starting 90g Reef Tank Build... Finally!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12940435#post12940435 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
When it comes to such additives, adding some is beneficial, adding too much probably not. More than zero is good, right? Just don't OD your system on that stuff.

This was my philosophy on Mike's garlic thread exactly. Use it in moderation in the lack of scientific evidence good or bad about it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12940592#post12940592 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
Anyone have ideas for getting the phosban reactors open? Mine are locked shut for some reason.

salt creep

Take a blunt instrument--like the the handle of a kitchen knife and give the top a quick rap or two with it in the direction that the top screws off
Its like the old trick of releasing the sealing on a preserving jar or wheel nuts on a car.

I have actually used an oilfilter wrench on the canisters of the ro unit when they seize.

I got it... Oddly enough I walked away for 5 minutes, came back and they popped right open... who knows. :confused:

T.J you said you were going to diy phosban reactor?

If so make sure you share that with the rest of us. :)

im sure that you will just makin sure you do.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12940725#post12940725 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
I got it... Oddly enough I walked away for 5 minutes, came back and they popped right open... who knows. :confused:

ah the golden rule of working on computers---did that many times

I remember some of the old 386 cases---just would not come off--walk away, hurl a mouse at the wall--come back and the case would come right off.

Often, the cause of the 'walk away for a few moments' with things like this is:
You cause enough of a crack in the salt/whatever that the moisture can start to penetrate and dissolve whatever is binding the thread. Thus, 5 minutes later it's easy.

Computers? They're just smarter than we think. They WAIT til your light-weight missus comes over and easily undoes the screw you've been wrestling with for the past 1/2 hr.

AD

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12941452#post12941452 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by new2sw776784
T.J you said you were going to diy phosban reactor?

If so make sure you share that with the rest of us. :)

im sure that you will just makin sure you do.
Yeah it's a pretty simple principle, and I don't think it would be that hard to DIY one out of PVC. It's been on my list for a while, and I'll be giving it a shot once I start the 30g build.

The only thing is that since it will be made out of PVC, you won't be able to see inside the reactor. There's an acrylic shop that sells left over cast acrylic tubing pieces in Cleveland, but I'd have to get lucky and find the right size piece though. Even then I'm not sure it would be cost effective to buy a piece.

The reactors are only $30 a piece, so I would have to fabricate them for less than that.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12941843#post12941843 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
ah the golden rule of working on computers---did that many times

I remember some of the old 386 cases---just would not come off--walk away, hurl a mouse at the wall--come back and the case would come right off.
Hamsters are a little fuzzier, so you may get a few more tosses out of one than a mouse before you need a replacement. :p

Well I think seeing how much flow is going through the reactor may be needed to make sure the media isn't pulverized. Maybe a clear top at least to fine tune to flow?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12941916#post12941916 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aydee
Often, the cause of the 'walk away for a few moments' with things like this is:
You cause enough of a crack in the salt/whatever that the moisture can start to penetrate and dissolve whatever is binding the thread. Thus, 5 minutes later it's easy.

Computers? They're just smarter than we think. They WAIT til your light-weight missus comes over and easily undoes the screw you've been wrestling with for the past 1/2 hr.

AD
Yeah I was about to walk over and ask my 100lb brunette neighbor take a crack at it.

I figured it would have to pop right open... if only for the embarrassment factor on my end :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12942197#post12942197 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by timschmidt
Well I think seeing how much flow is going through the reactor may be needed to make sure the media isn't pulverized. Maybe a clear top at least to fine tune to flow?
That is a possibility, or just use a small enough pump so you know the media wil be ok. For example, like the Mini-Jet 404 which only has a max output of 106gph.

Another option woulf be to do some testing with my current unit to try and estimate the flow rate moving through the reactors, then set the PVC unit to match.

Since the flow rate is 90gph or less, you better have a ballvalve on there. Or farbricate a cute little window on each side to see through it.

Pictures...? I never take those :lol:

I have some ideas of what I want, I need to call and see if and when they are expecting a new shipment. If they aren't expecting one this week, then I may change my plans and swing back towards my hometown, since there are about 5 fishstores in a close vicinity.

We'll see though, I may end up just ordering a bunch of stuff off LiveAquaria instead and save the gas money.

I also have a pretty long dry goods list that I need to get around to ordering at least some of. So if all goes to plan, it may look like christmas around here come next week. :D

Thanks... and the ATO has taken yet another turn.

I posted in the local reef club forum looking for an float switch, and a local reefer contacted me about an extra auto top-off unit that he has. It uses 2 floats switches, and has a timer so the pump can only run for a specified time after it turns on.

He offered it to me for $40, so I think I'm going to be going that route with it. I'm going to stop by his house and check it out this weekend when I head up to Salty Critter.

You can't beat that deal with a stick! My ATO cost 40 and I still had to buy powerhead, tubing, and extension cord. Oh yeah, and build it LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back