Starting over: what would you do differently?

Having just gone through this last year, I can relate.

My old tank (120, rear overflows) was cobbled together with lots of used stuff that all seemed like a good idea at the time.

My new tank is a pretty fair representation of all of the choices I wanted to fix.

-Peninsula
-External overflow (Synergy Reef)
-LED/T5 combo
-Basement sump
-Apex from day one

That's sick Joe! I see your shoulder is better!!!

No, the reason I'm sticking with a 120 is the stand and canopy you built me is amazing. Don't want to change it.

Believe it or not, I just finished the bathroom. Remember that vernier you build for my vanity? Looks great.

My tank is home made. I would make it deeper and lower the overall water level about an inch or so via the overflow. It runs within 1/2 inch of the top I had a couple of overflows
I would do just 1-2" drain vs 2- 1 1/2" that I have. I had no idea just how much water can actually flow through 1- 1 1/2" pipe. So i shut one down shorty after I started and haven't used it since. Although I have toyed with the idea of a second sump from time ti time. So it may have a use yet.

if

if

I were starting over :p
I would choose the finest and quietest components.

But that's only after learning the hard way that there's a big difference between cheapo stuff and the real deal.

I've considered doing a Kreisel. Maybe a NP biotope. Sygnathiid display.
But I'd stick with what I know best.

I'm really loving those ghost overflow types and DC pumps!

starting over hmmm at what point in the 30years...... probably the biggest do different was 12 years ago I would have rented a place on our own or bought a place vs renting with now ex friends.... might have still had a breeding pair of Blue Spotted Jawfish instead of a chlorinated 92 gallon hot tub.....

I were starting over :p
I would choose the finest and quietest components.

But that's only after learning the hard way that there's a big difference between cheapo stuff and the real deal.

I've considered doing a Kreisel. Maybe a NP biotope. Sygnathiid display.
But I'd stick with what I know best.

I'm really loving those ghost overflow types and DC pumps!

I love my Ghost Overflow (technically Synergy Reef Overflow, but same thing) and DC return pump.

If I was about to go back to the start I would of never done it in the first place. To expensive and to much work.

I would have/should have/am doing now what worked before...

No substrate (vacuuming it out)
Halides ( Radions swapped for 400w Ushio 14k)
Basement sump (can't do it, did move ATO to basement)

what kind of substrate did you have. I had oolite and hated it was thinking of going with a thicker sand so I can have wrasse again I'm currently barebottom

Realistically, the only thing I'd change is the plumbing, especially teh drain side. I'd to to make it quieter (probably bean's design or similar), and allow for easier use/maintenance of filter socks. Oh, and I probably would have gone with the full apex, not just the jr.

Ideally, I'd find a way to run a remote sump, but that's a MUCH bigger undertaking and even if I were starting over, I'm not sure I'd take on that kind of project in my current house with my current tank location.

I'm thinking of also doing a 1GPD automated water change system. More Litermeter slave pumps headed this way....

What a great thread! Its great for people to say what they would have done different rather than brag that their Seaclone works great. TYVM!!!

I would not use Florida Crushed Coral again. It looks ugly and makes the tank look like there is garbage all over. I would also not use fine sand again. The power heads create a sand storm.

Back