Stomatoart

Koshmar

The Hardy Mongolian Pony
I've spent the entire day stuck at home :( (crazy freezing weather). So I tried spending most of the day studying for one of my chemistry classes but took a 30 minute break to draw this real quick and thought I'd share:

57796df4.jpg

I just pulled up images from google on mantis pictures and saw a pose I liked, did a rough sketch, and took off! So I guess all credit for the pose goes to whoever the google image link got it from (I don't know if I need to cite a pose or not, shrugs). Anyway I want to see your guyses mantis stuff! I got the idea when Dr. Caldwell posted his awesomely amazing tie and thought "I wonder what else is out there?" Personally I want a huge rear window decal later on to stick on my car that says "Got Stomatopod?" And have a big squilla/spearer species pic/outline underneath. I know hardcore right. Or anyone who has a t-shirt with a mantis, let's see it!

Lastly, whenever I get the time, I want to do a formal drawing and post it/dedicate it to the Mannings or something (as in Mrs. Manning who did the tie for Roy). I don't know sounds corny and stuff but hey I'd like to do something for the man and woman who did so much in the name of knowledge in our favorite little marine creatures. Let me know what you guys think and show me your stomato-stuff!

Last edited:
Wow, picture is done pretty well! Hell, I can't even draw stick figures without messing up. As for stoma stuff, the only thing I have is a picture when one of mine busted my thumb open. But now that I see your drawing, I think that would look pretty nice etched on my 1911's handgrip :). If I only knew someone who did wood engravings.

A formal art piece dedicated to the Mannings is not a bad idea.l. I guess if it wasn't for them, some of us might not be on this forum or into saltwater aquariums today!

I concur, AWESOME sketch! There is a shop in my local mall that will put any image on a shirt or whatever you want. I think I may have to have one made now...

Oh snap! I tossed my earlier drawing in a phone booth and look what popped out!
bf47b46c.jpg

Seriously though, I'm working on a real drawing which will just be figuring things out for my final. I'm tryin to get better at the realism side.

Yes! Finally done with this one, took three times longer plus it's in an unusual style for me.
10aa1fe8.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out all the nitty gritty details of stomatopod anatomy. Surprisingly it's rather difficult to find dissection photos of mantis shrimp. Imagine that!

The one I want to dedicate to the Mannings will take me foooooorevvver so I want to pick a pose/action that is appropriate. I mean an action scene with a mantis battling an octopus would be cool and all but IMO not exactly appropriate for the purpose. I was thinking of doing my first 3D drawing for this with a mantis tearing out of the page and comming out at the viewer. But I want suggestions from you guys. Give me some ideas of a scene I could draw that would be proper for donating to somewhere in memory of everything the Mannings have done for stomatopod research and classification. I don't know who I'll give it to but I want to first get it done at least!

Once again, very nice pic. I do not understand how artists draw pictures. Seems so hard for me to do.

I think a mantis shrimp coming out of its burrow with its meral spread display would be pretty appropriate. Most people that has seen or read about mantis shrimp would probably know that impressive looking posture.

Once again, very nice pic. I do not understand how artists draw pictures. Seems so hard for me to do.

I think a mantis shrimp coming out of its burrow with its meral spread display would be pretty appropriate. Most people that has seen or read about mantis shrimp would probably know that impressive looking posture.

I concur.

Yeah! Just got an email from the Smithsonian and they forwarded my message to the zoology section and told me to hang tight for awhile until I get a reply. Probably going to start it soon also. I might post my progress on here when it starts. Stay Tuned!

Dude I could totally do a mantis tattoo for you. I've completed two people's tattoo designs already and working on my third for my best friend. Pm me if you want me to actually do a "real" drawing for you or check out my facebook page for some of my earlier and recent work.

Awwww! You guys are making me blush! Thank you for the compliments.

I'm working on the facebook link, it should be up in the next few days (I just signed up)

I just finished my virology exam and I'm going home to get some sleep and probably start drawing the thing today. I have a great friend who is really pushing me to explore my abilities and to go pro later on. It's just these darn classes!

Cobalt, what do you do? Can I see some of your stuff sometime?

I loved my virology class in college. Still have the textbook around here somewhere.....

Got an email from Dr. Rafael Lemaitre of the Smithsonian. He gave me the email to Raymond B. Manning's daugher. I emailed her about my plans for a drawing and told her about the massive impact her father has had in regards to the hobby and asked her to accept my drawing. I'm just waiting to see if she will accept it now. Either way I'm making a tribute drawing for the Mannings. I want this thread to stay focused on stomatopod artwork and anything related to mantis shrimp in public/objects images, media, general stuff. Car stickers, T-shirts, music, books, you name it. So what I want to do is make a separate thread for the memory of Mr. and Mrs. Manning as well as post my progress on the dedicated drawing. Hopefully this won't break any RC rules, I'm not trying to promote myself or anything, I don't even sell my work (I don't think I'm that good yet anyway). This new thread will be for the Mannings, so if you guys want to post stuff up there go ahead, I'm not the boss, I just thought it would be a cool idea, and it's mantis shrimp related. So I'll give it a try and hopefully if there's a problem an admin will let me know. Also I don't know if it's against the rules to link my facebook page up here or not so if you guys want to see what I've done in terms of drawings, pm me and I'll do whatever to let you see my stuff. Woot! Cheers!

Last edited:
Koshmar best of luck in your endeavors, definitely above and beyond and quite admirable to say the least :D

As for my own work, I'm a freelance fantasy illustrator, currently doing stuff for the iPhone/iOS with my friend. I think this'll work: Facebook WIP album. (edit, not sure if it works, but this is my main site, too: Denjin108)

But yeah man, you got some awesome stuff for sure, definitely nurture the talent and it will serve you well :) I'll post up a stomatodoodle later when I have time hehe ^_^

You could try to go to your local Asian food mart. The one here in Charleston has frozen spearer mantis shrimp that you could use as a model for your drawings. I don't know what species they are though.

Dude, Cobalt, I took a look at your work..... It's awesome!

It reminds me of how amateur I really am. When I first emailed the Smithsonian I thought either:

a) I'd never get a reply back OR
b) I would get a message back from a man sitting in a red leather chair, sipping wine, with a monocle, smoking a pipe, and laughing at my little drawing tribute.

The exact opposite happened. :)

Seriously Cobalt, I'd like to see a stomatowork from you. I understand the work thing and not having time, believe me! I need two lives!

Back