Stomatopod facts?

nonpareilpearl

I am in the process of compiling a list of "easy to remember" facts (think bullet-point style, ~100-120 characters or less) for a page I'm making for my mantis tank. Here are a few I have to start:
  • Mantis shrimps are of the order Stomatopoda.
  • There are ~400 species of mantis shrimps (stomatopoda).
  • Dr. Roy Caldwell (PhD) has been studying stomatopods for over 30 years at UC Berkeley! See more info here: http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/aquarius/index.html

I'm trying to make the list as long as possible so I can cycle through/update the list. Does anyone have any ideas for some more?

Here's one that doesn't often make it into the fact sheets, but I have learned from experience...

Every mantis shrimp has it's own personality. Similar species can have notably different behavioral characteristics.

A couple of corrections.

There are over 500 described species of stomatopods.

I started studying stomatopods in Bermuda in 1965 while a graduate student at the University of Iowa. I took a faculty position at U.C. Berkeley in 1970 where I have been ever since.

Roy

48 years of stomatopod studys and counting!
*bows chanting "We'er not worthy. We'er not worthy!"*
Thank you for all your help and understanding.

A couple of corrections.

There are over 500 described species of stomatopods.

I started studying stomatopods in Bermuda in 1965 while a graduate student at the University of Iowa. I took a faculty position at U.C. Berkeley in 1970 where I have been ever since.

Roy

48 years wow! I'm curious how many stomatopods have you owned and researched? :spin1:

A conservative estimate would be around two hundred thousand stomatopods captured and logged. I know that during our population study and the subsequent follow-up study of the Galeta Oil Spill in Panama we logged over 120,000 animals. Most field trips involve the collection of around 500 to a thousand animals and we typically have made two or three trips a year. Throw in three years of sabbatical where I collected several thousand animals each year and the figures add up. These estimates don't include the relatively few animals that I get from commercial sources. Any way you look at it, it amounts to a lot of stuck fingers!

Roy

A conservative estimate would be around two hundred thousand stomatopods captured and logged. I know that during our population study and the subsequent follow-up study of the Galeta Oil Spill in Panama we logged over 120,000 animals. Most field trips involve the collection of around 500 to a thousand animals and we typically have made two or three trips a year. Throw in three years of sabbatical where I collected several thousand animals each year and the figures add up. These estimates don't include the relatively few animals that I get from commercial sources. Any way you look at it, it amounts to a lot of stuck fingers!

Roy

It makes me curious if there is a such thing as a freshwater or brackish water species of mantis. There are just so many it wouldn't surprise me.

No living or fossil freshwater stomatopods that we know of. There are a few squillids and lysiosquillids that can tolerate brackish water for several days, but I don't know of any that complete their life cycle in water less than around 25 ppt - but there isn't much of a literature on this.

Roy

It depends on what I'm working on, but certainly one of my favorites is Odontodactylus japonicus. This is perhaps the most interactive of all stomatopods.

Roy

Attachments

• O japonicus male swimming May 20 2013 med.jpg
    O japonicus male swimming May 20 2013 med.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 2
It depends on what I'm working on, but certainly one of my favorites is Odontodactylus japonicus. This is perhaps the most interactive of all stomatopods.

Roy

Those are my favorite also.. I just love how pure their colors and structure looks.. its ashame they're rare as I would've liked to have one :sad2:

Back