Storytime again for us fish nerds... Southern Japan and Guam dive/fish trip 2012 :)

HOLY... CRAP...

Can't wait for the build thread so we can see the equipment list and your thought process behind this materpiece, but I'm sure I speak on behalf of everyone when I say we appreciate the "sneak peek."

-Chad

Looks incredible! Can't wait to see it fully stocked.

How is the skimmer working out for you?

Thanks guys... it really is a pleasure to share this...

Absolutely amazing tank,how is the majestic angel ;is he picking on your SPS.Thinking of getting one.

I actually have two majestics in there that I got as juvies and had in my old system... hoping they grow into a pair... I've consistently had around 50 angels in my collection over the past few years... and none I'd have problems putting in with my SPS... there are a number of angels already in the tank I've had for years that are pretty special, including my potteri/fisheri hybrid, 2 flame/ rusty hybrids, one flame/rusty/multicolor "tribrid", two CB resplendens/argi hybrids, one CB argi, my female C. colini (I lost the male in the move which was devastating... I've had this pair since 2006 after Frank Baensch spawned them... they were collected in Fiji in 2004 as adults... the male was getting old and didn't handle the stress of the move... yet right before the move they were spawning nightly still... if anyone knows of another colini that pops up please let me know)... lined up to go in the tank behind the scenes are my G. semifasciatus pair, the Christmas emperor pair, my armatagei, a true Indian Ocean A. trimaculatus, four regal angels (three Maldives and one aberrant Marshall's specimen I grew from tiny), a C. multifasciata pair that's now allowed in with the passing of my male colini, that would dominate this species in the past... what else... oh yes, on the topic of this thread my true Guam collected Centropyge shepardi! :) That's just this tank... :) For those that haven't been around in the Reef Fishes forum for a while I'm a bit of an angel nut... :)

Looks incredible! Can't wait to see it fully stocked.

How is the skimmer working out for you?

This skimmer ROCKS! As I've said in the past I'm very lucky to have known the guys behind Avast from when they were just hobbyists... they were knowledgeable HONEST guys that will be around for a while... it was a slam dunk when I chose them... customized to exactly the way I wanted it... the swabbie neck cleaner and five gallon collection bucket with automatic shutoff of the pumps makes it so that I literally don't touch it for weeks... one thing that is getting modified is the DC5000 pumps are getting upgraded to DC6000 pumps... the newer RLSS 6000 and 12000 pumps are much better in many aspects.

Can you do an American English translation of that? :celeb1:

Is that a gem tang I see?

Beautiful tank, John!

Yes that's a gem... another fish I've had for years... I have all of the non-sailfin Zebrasoma species represented in the tank, and plan to add on, including another gem... I am however sticking to only Zebrasoma and Ctenochaetus genus tangs in this tank... may make an exception for a few Acanthurus polyzona, but that's about it... there will be very few marginally large fish in this tank... the pair of emps... a trio of Scarus quoyi... for every one of those fish they'll be dozens of smaller ones... just as it is on a natural reef...

I love the mass of smaller fish. Are they mainly dispar or lyertail anthias?

For now there is a 50/50 mix of Maldivian Lyretails and the Indian Ocean sister species of dispar... Pseudanthias ignitus... also from the Maldives.

not bad.... :)

You're just jealous because you can't keep a reef... but we're even, because I'm jealous that you have employees to do your dirty work!:wildone:

Happy Friday to all!:celeb1:

Fintastic Copps!! Please post pictures of the emperors when they're in the tank. I really like the small fish like the damsels and cardinals. I think many of the Chrysiptera spp. damsels are underutilized in captive reefs. They add beautiful movement and jewel-like colors. The smaller fish really convey the feeling of the reefs that I have dived on which have many smaller fish and the occasional large fish.

This skimmer ROCKS! As I've said in the past I'm very lucky to have known the guys behind Avast from when they were just hobbyists... they were knowledgeable HONEST guys that will be around for a while... it was a slam dunk when I chose them... customized to exactly the way I wanted it... the swabbie neck cleaner and five gallon collection bucket with automatic shutoff of the pumps makes it so that I literally don't touch it for weeks... one thing that is getting modified is the DC5000 pumps are getting upgraded to DC6000 pumps... the newer RLSS 6000 and 12000 pumps are much better in many aspects.

Thanks for the info! I'm getting ready to replace my old MRC, and was hoping to get something custom that can easily handle my system volume. After all of my research and seeing how yours came out, I'm leaning in their direction.

John I love your threads !!!! Absolutely love it there's few people who look at a place or island differently then everyone else ..... The only thing is japan and the whale meat kinda hit me hard .... I'm a little bit of a tree hugger

Back