Storytime again for us fish nerds... Southern Japan and Guam dive/fish trip 2012 :)

John,

Fantastic...Looking forward to the talk at Wamas...Unfortunately had to work Friday morning so didn't get to see your macna talk. However, went to a bunch of the other speakers. Huge thanks to you and all the wamas folks...that was an amazing conference and speaker lineup.

talk soon,
Roni

I always appreciate getting to see all of your amazing angels. The tank is really coming along nicely, I was really excited to see an update.

For those of us who couldn't attend MACNA, is there anywhere online to see the speakers?

There's nowhere to see them online. Hopefully I'll be giving my new talk in Northern Cal soon... I've spoken at a few different places in the Bay Area and love it... I have many friends there at CAS.

Now that's it's been up for a year, anything you'd do differently? Sand, lights, flow...?

Nothing I'd change from the start... I planned this thing for years... I'll probably be swapping out the VHOs for LEDs soon, but the halides will be the main lighting for years to come.

John,

Fantastic...Looking forward to the talk at Wamas...Unfortunately had to work Friday morning so didn't get to see your macna talk. However, went to a bunch of the other speakers. Huge thanks to you and all the wamas folks...that was an amazing conference and speaker lineup.

talk soon,
Roni

Thanks Roni... that's one of the reasons I'm giving it for WAMAS... we had so many people either working their real jobs or working the show! The conference worked out great... three years of planning paid off! Next year will be a much more relaxing MACNA...

Thanks,

Copps

finally you have time to post some pics! for those that didn't get to Macna, can you show us some full tank shots?
Glad to see you back on, John!

Hallo John

I bought 2 Bodianus opercularis last week. One red white and the other one red yellow. You or someone else know the difference?

Greetings Torben

Thanks guys... things are growing in well to the point where I might start the first significant fragging...

finally you have time to post some pics! for those that didn't get to Macna, can you show us some full tank shots?
Glad to see you back on, John!

Did you see the previous page? I posted a bunch!

Hallo John

I bought 2 Bodianus opercularis last week. One red white and the other one red yellow. You or someone else know the difference?

Greetings Torben

Hey Torben, I have two neopercularis getting along in QT together! I'd bet the color differences are genetic, yet dependent also on environmental factors... I wouldn't be surprised if they revert to have the same color in captivity... keep me up to date.

Thanks,

Copps

The seemingly pedestrian Belonoperca pylei he had in QT... also known as Dr. Seuss... from the Marshall's...

Nara_seuss_zps558fab73.jpg

And some beauties from Curacao collected deep by submarine...

Decodon puellaris

Nara_hog_zpse0f5580d.jpg

Hemanthias vivanus

Nara_anthias4_zps697fab79.jpg

Pronotogrammus martinicensis

Nara_anthias3_zpsa836d334.jpg

And here is a very special fish for me... what a treat to see this... I'm a fan of Liopropoma... especially the Atlantic species... I own pairs of L. carmabi, eukrines, and rubre... but this species is EXCEPTIONALLY rare to see... the species is Liopropoma aberrans... I'd read about this species for many years... and saw grainy photos from a submersible... in 2001 the well known South Florida collector Eric Reichardt was killed diving his rebreather off Pompano Beach in South Flordia... he either drowned, and was subsequently attacked by a shark... or drowned as a result of a shark attack... ask anyone who dives a rebreather and they'll tell you that sharks have much less fear of you... as you are not making noise blowing bubbles... you are just another animal swimming the depths... you can read one of the many articles here...

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2002-04-09/news/0204090250_1_shark-dive-site-technical-divers

Angelfish nerds will appreciate that Eric collected the only documented rock beauty/ blue angel hybrid ever documented... in the article you'll see that it mentions that "Reichardt told his father that he had seen a rare fish at the wreck recently and wanted to catch it." Well... the fish that Eric was targeting that he said he'd seen at that wreck was this Liopropoma... now for the first time collected via submersible in Curacao... and in this doctor's tank... meet Liopropoma aberrans...:eek2:

Nara_aberrans4_zps49684b3b.jpg

Nara_aberrans3_zpsff8991c9.jpg

Nara_aberrans2_zps7e6d2ee8.jpg

Nara_aberrans_zps987c72f5.jpg

Nara_anthias_liopropoma_zps7bb3e8a0.jpg

Copps

I understand I am grave digging this thread but I need to set something right. Eric did not catch that fish. I know this because I was there on the boat who's owner caught the fish. The boat owner was Bob Rice and the three of us collected and dove together. He purchased the fish to re-sell to Brian who then sold the fish for quite a few bucks. While Eric was a good collector, he liked to take credit where it wasn't due. I happened upon this thread because we are now collecting deep in Federal waters off Florida and are beginning to produce more deep water finds. I was looking for info on decodon puellaris, prices, interest in them etc as we have one available.

Seeing your updates is always awesome, John. You're definitely one of the gifted few in this hobby.

Thanks guys... things are growing in well to the point where I might start the first significant fragging...

Did you see the previous page? I posted a bunch!

Hey Torben, I have two neopercularis getting along in QT together! I'd bet the color differences are genetic, yet dependent also on environmental factors... I wouldn't be surprised if they revert to have the same color in captivity... keep me up to date.

Thanks,

Copps
Hey Copps,

Now the colour is the same. Yellow gone. But the two fish get dirty grey brown dots and this kill the colour. Some fishguys around think that isn't a sickness. They get very fat and large during the time and they are very active. That's also talks against sickness. But the beauty has gone...

A few weeks ago I was afraid because the two fight each other. I afraid that I have to separate them. A few days later everything was okay but I don't think they pair up...

Greetings Torben

Copps,

Does the Chrysiptera galba have a similar disposition to C. starki? I've been interested in purchasing one in the past but I held off because I wasn't sure about how aggressive they were. I've kept C. starki and they were fine. Do you think a C. galba and C. starki would get along in a 180 gall reef tank?

Copps,

Does the Chrysiptera galba have a similar disposition to C. starki? I've been interested in purchasing one in the past but I held off because I wasn't sure about how aggressive they were. I've kept C. starki and they were fine. Do you think a C. galba and C. starki would get along in a 180 gall reef tank?

Hey Chooch, that's a very good comparison... I've kept many Chrysiptera species and it's amazing the different behaviors you see amongst the genus... with all that I've kept I would say that C. galba is closest to C. starcki in behavior and temperament... an open water swimmer that behaves as a planktivore...

In terms of mixing them it is absolutely possible but my old adage of "it's not what you mix, but how you mix" comes into play. Try adding them at the same time, or using an acclimation box or many of the other methods other than the dreaded "dump and hope"... :cool:

Lots going on good in the tank... I'll update soon.

I also spent five weeks of the last two months in Hawaii for work and pleasure through all four major islands... did plenty of diving and collecting... I'll update this very soon.

Thanks,

Copps

Hey Tom! Okay, I realize it's been a while, and when I take photos it takes me some time. So, I snapped some top down pics tonight while I was working on the tank with my phone... please excuse the quality... knock on wood the tank continues to do well and has grown in incredibly...

Some shots from the corner of the tank... those strange blue lights are called VHO bulbs...:spin3: been meaning to swap them out with LED but just can't do it yet...

My two magnifica anemones have grown considerably in the center... the blood red base green to the left, and the traditional bright purple base to the right... with my leucokranos pair of years happily living there...

The channel going up the center adds huge depth perception when looking at the tank... making the 1300 gallons look even larger... :beer:

I wanted only staghorn Acropora to the left in this third of the tank... and I got what I asked for... you can barely see the rock... loaded with stags... keep in mind this is six feet from front to back...

The center portion of the tank... I had it broken up into thirds of almost three feet wide each... the tank is 8.5 feet long...

This is the front portion of the center third... I left it open to allow my magnifica to grow... but found room for my bright green efflo which display much better on its own island... and to the left is a true Tridacna gigas... shell is 24"! I just had James Fatherree over this past weekend and it's the largest clam he's seen in a home... oh boy... I've been in deep for decades in this hobby... now I'm in really deep... :)

And the rear portion of the center part of the tank... loaded with Acropora... 1300 gallons and I have no space left... :spin3:

And backing up... I need to fill in crushed coral towards the front... it gets pounded there with the flow from the six MP40s... the red planet table to the right is over two feet wide now and will soon need to be hacked...

After keeping gigantea anemones for years now, and having an absolute passion for them, last year I decided to keep them in my 1300 in addition to my anemone tank. I've realized they are not nearly as dangerous as haddoni... here you could see one of them... fish nerds will notice my Centropyge colini at the corner of the red planet... I've had this fish for over ten years now! I lost the male of my pair in the move, but recently got another one I have in QT in hopes to reform the pair...

Here are some more gigantea of mine in secondary quarantine for a few months after going through full QT and antibiotics... I put them in flower pots so that I'm able to move them easily and they never get anchored down in my displays... when they grow in you never see the pots... these three include the brightest blue I've seen (appears bleached in the photo only), a multicolor purple (green towards the center and bright purple on the edges), and one of the rainbow hopefuls... green that appears multicolored under blue lights... and fish nerds will recognize the Centropyge colini towards the bottom... :)

More to come in the next few weeks... :beer:

Copps

Back