Strange Creature...

mtsuguy

I have a strange looking creature that comes out of the rocks work at night, its about the size of a quarter. It is pinkish without the lighs on and has feet like a starfish but it is in the shape of a flower, sort of like a daisy. Any clue what it is? It looks to have some sort of blunt point on its top if that helps, I had my camera stolen or I would post a pic.

sounds like some kind of sea urchin or a starfish. probably OK for now but may cause problems if you try to put some coral in there.

anything like this ?

sea-urchin-caledonia-3291.jpg

There's also a 24 armed starfish that looks like a fat sunflower. You could have an infant.

I'm guessing it's some type of echinoderm. But you definitely need to get some pics on here, not just for ID, but because it's description has peeked my interest.

I have no idea what you have although I have, in the last couple days found a little something that I can't ID either. Basically I found a starfish (5 points, light light tan) about half the size of a dime on my back glass. I was able to snap a pic of that and I can post if you want.

Then he disappeared for a few days and today I find him (I think) on the top of one of my LR and I look a little closer and he's only got 3 points!

A) is it possible for them to change shape?
B) could he have been nipped at by a fish?
C) could it be a completely different little guy?

I couldn't get my camera at an angle to get a good picture of the todays find but if I can I could post that too.

Thanks!

rip you've probably got an asterina starfish. they are always irregular shapes. I'd guess you probaly have alot more than two.

Back