Stream 3 quantity & placement

andyos

Hi Roger, I have a Peninsula tank 168mm long by 750mm depth and 570mm wide with Fluval SP4 return pump entering the tank at the opposite end to the weir....the tank is LPS dominated and currently uses a Vortech MP40 and MP60 on the weir end either side. IF I were to replace them with the new Stream 3 how many would you suggest and what sort of placement given the only options are either end of the tank (back glass is up against a wall)? Thanks, Andy

I assume you mean 1680mm long?

I would suggest two, positioned vertically with the flow deflector on top and the pump just about 8 cm above the gravel. One on the left wall toward the front and one on the right wall to the back, I would the alternate them every 3-6 hours so one is pulsing and the other is idling at a low speed.

I would suggest two, positioned vertically with the flow deflector on top and the pump just about 8 cm above the gravel. One on the left wall toward the front and one on the right wall to the back, I would the alternate them every 3-6 hours so one is pulsing and the other is idling at a low speed.

Hi Roger, lol, yes 1680mm :)

picture.php

Thanks, so will this create a circular type of flow with the return pump pushing water towards the weir? Andy

Hi Roger, can two 6150 be connected together without an additional controller? If not, which controller is suitable for the Stream 3? Thanks, Andy

Any of the controllers can be used but the best would be 7097 or 7000, the others will need a calibration of the 7090 that comes with the pump to work. You can connect them together with just a DIN cable and run them in synchronous or inverse wave or pulse mode that way.

Hi Roger, final question I think, I see the 7000 is mains powered - I would have the 6150's on 12V battery backup, in the event of mains power failure what would the pumps do if connected to the 7000? My last gen 6095's would power off completely if the power to my GHL Profilux failed even if pumps were on battery?

I pointed this out when I was shown the product and it is correct, it would turn off the pumps. I was assured though that it could also be backed up by a safety connector or a small UPS system as it is 12V and uses very little power, there is no real workaround for this in a controller of this type, it needs more power than the pumps can supply.

I pointed this out when I was shown the product and it is correct, it would turn off the pumps. I was assured though that it could also be backed up by a safety connector or a small UPS system as it is 12V and uses very little power, there is no real workaround for this in a controller of this type, it needs more power than the pumps can supply.

Hmm, shame, looks like the 7097 might be the better bet then...I know there was discussion in the GHL forum about fixing this issue by introducing a relay or such in the control line that would mimic a non connected controller rather than a connected but not powered controller.....maybe one for R&D :)

I have also a peninsula, 7 feet by 30" wide and 24" tall. The return is also from the overflow side so I rely only on power heads for good flow. I currently have two pumps on both sides of the overflow half way down and one on the opposite short end. All are about 3000gph.

I don't fully understand the placement of the Stream 3's. So 2 pumps placed on either side of the overflow, like I have now, but vertically so the flow is directed up from the bottom towards the surface? I am obviously missing something.

Another question I have is. Water passes essentially through the Stream, sucked in from bottom and exits from the deflector side. With the strong flow aren't stuff including small fish sucked in from the bottom. Also when placed close to a sand bed, I would expect sand being sucked in.

The majority of the water enters the top under the outlet, only about 100 gph comes in through the bottom, one of the main features of this pump is the high flow over the rotor and daily backward rotation cycle minimizes cleaning and maintenance needs.

The pump includes to deflectors, one is just a grid, one I can best describe as a scoop, like a Jai Lai bat, if you use the scoop the flow exits at about a 45 degree angle. The pump can be mounted at any angle, if you place it on a back wall aimed down the length (horizontally) you would generally use the grid, in most other placements, you would use the deflector.

Can the magnets that are normally facing outside of the tank be placed submerged into an overflow?

Hi Roger

Just purchased a Stream 3.
My aquarium is a cube 1m x 1m x 70cm (metric). The overflow is in the middle back.
This makes placement of the pump tricky, if I want to get a sufficient flow in the tank.

I have realized that I probably need two pumps one on each side of the overflow.

I have considered two Gyres instead, and my question is if it is possible to achieve a good flow through the tank with one or two Stream 3's?

Best Regards
Brian

Try it positioned horizontally on one side lower in the tank with the grid, it will create a nice swirling current, I think you will be impressed with the effect, main reason to use 2 is to set up a clockwise/counterclockwise gyre, but either this position or on the back wall using the flow deflector will accomplish this and it should be enough it is just a matter of being able to change direction that will lead you to want two

Try it positioned horizontally on one side lower in the tank with the grid, it will create a nice swirling current, I think you will be impressed with the effect, main reason to use 2 is to set up a clockwise/counterclockwise gyre, but either this position or on the back wall using the flow deflector will accomplish this and it should be enough it is just a matter of being able to change direction that will lead you to want two

Thanks! That did the trick :)

They really work the best positioned horizontally, you can get a really nice flow pattern that way.

To date only a few hundred have been made and only 80 have come to the US. It will probably be a while longer before you see more info besides our You Tube videos and those of early adopters and reviewers. Production is very slow as each pump gets a 24 hour test run and while the pump is simple and durable in many ways, it has a lot of parts that are hand assembled and adjusted and anything less than perfect is rejected.

Any best ways or ideas as to how to get this pump positioned horizontally on a peninsula style tank?

On the bottom tank floor (if bare bottom) or getting a custom acrylic mount are the only ways I can think of..... any other ideas out there?

Back