stupid newbie question about shroom aggression

beaniebeagle

just starting out and a little confused about the aggressiveness of the mushroom corals.......

i know they can sting adjacent corals....but can one let itself loose from the rock and drift to another area and cause problems in a new area when they run out of growing room??

just one post before gave me the impression that they can cause chaos in other parts of the tank, not just directly adjacent to them

oh, what actually does happen when they run out of growing room????

I like mushrooms, i have a tank that is for the most part dedicated to them. Once a shroom populates a rock it will detach and then float away with the current. Where ever it lands it will reattatch and then the cycle starts over. Eventually all the baby shrooms will grow and then do the same. Some reproduce faster than others. I have a blue/green shroom that is accountable for atleast 15 babies in the last 3 months, and a bright red one that has only droped 2 babies in the past 5 months.

I did have a problem with shrooms burning my leather corals, so yeah...they can be aggressive. But their are other corals that dont seem to be bothered too much by my shrooms, such as green star polyps, zoanthids, etc...

If you dont want them all over the tank, wait untill they start to detatch (youll know what it looks like when it happens), then cut it loose and give it away, trade it in for store credit at your favorite LFS, or flush it. Later....

Back