Suggestions for Caulerpa Eaters?

bradleym

Premium Member
I am kinda lacking enthusiasm lately, and haven't been able to keep up with my tank. The caulerpa has gotten out of control. Help!

I've added a yellow foxface and a blue hippo tang, but they both seem uninterested. My next attempt will be taking pieces of caulerpa to the LFS to see if they will let me test for an interested party before my next purchase. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

P.S. this is a 92 gallon tank, so I can't just throw tangs at it like I used to do in my 210 long, LOL. Trying to learn how to be more selective.

Have you tried to eradicate it was fluconazole?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Have you tried to eradicate it was fluconazole?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Are you sure your posting in the correct forum [emoji38]

c4e69b5027b63527fe36bfb775dd0aa7.jpg
c4e69b5027b63527fe36bfb775dd0aa7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just following up on this for those who are interested. Fluconazole is also used to treat certain algae outbreaks, and some users of the product complained that it killed off their macroalgae in their sump. This led some people to use it to intentionally kill off pest macroalgae, like in my case.

However in my case, there was way too much macroalgae and I was concerned that the die-off would crash my tank. Instead, I've started dosing vodka daily, and feeding a controlled amount. The vodka dosing has kept my nitrates at an all-time low and the caulerpa is slowly dying off of it's own accord.

In this picture you can see a strand that's gone ghost white. It will rot away in another day or two, and this has become a regular occurrence over the last week. The overgrowth still looks bad, but I wasn't even able to see any of the palythoas on the right a month ago when I started dosing.
1fe4f9c07d160e1160aab6fba59be233.jpg

All my regal angel liked to nip on caulerpa.
Same goes for several of my clownfish.
And while the angels mostly just rip and tear, the clownfish actually trim it very nicely into a smooth green surface.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back