Sump help

I would like to see how the overflow is set up and why it is preventing the necessary water from from going into the sump.

Don't give up, keep plugging away. We're here to help.
The second pic is what it looks like when you push down on it and water flows through it perfectly, third pic is what it normally looks like not pushing on it and water isn’t flowing like it should

Attachments

• B2D4534C-86CD-4477-8121-E916B49FE961.jpeg
    B2D4534C-86CD-4477-8121-E916B49FE961.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • 65ABE290-58A4-4E58-8798-8E046D9B248A.jpeg
    65ABE290-58A4-4E58-8798-8E046D9B248A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • 9782BF60-9B5A-4F96-9A18-69C5C90A3FB0.jpeg
    9782BF60-9B5A-4F96-9A18-69C5C90A3FB0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
Its not sitting deep enough and not level.....trim of the plastic from the rim (inside), around the area where the box will sit. That should allow it to sit on the frame and it will level....

Dremel, hacksaw, if you have time on your hands a box cutter......OR, the easiest I've found is a soldering iron.
Any of those work, but all will be messy.

Is this not just a 'jam some cardboard' where I'm indicating so it will sit level?

View attachment 32384435
Tried that and it didn’t work. I’m not sure I’m comfortable cutting the trim down for it to fit. I’m thinking of getting a canister filter and putting the skimmer in the DT. This thing has been a pain since day one. Now I know when I upgrade what not to do!

Tried that and it didn’t work. I’m not sure I’m comfortable cutting the trim down for it to fit. I’m thinking of getting a canister filter and putting the skimmer in the DT. This thing has been a pain since day one. Now I know when I upgrade what not to do!
I highly recommend Fluval FX6. Remove all the sponges, fill all the bins with LR rubble and away you go. MASSIVE amounts of surface area and all kinds of things will end up living in there. I have a 120G with 3 FX6's running. Maybe 100 lbs rubble.....I "clean" once a year.

I highly recommend Fluval FX6. Remove all the sponges, fill all the bins with LR rubble and away you go. MASSIVE amounts of surface area and all kinds of things will end up living in there. I have a 120G with 3 FX6's running. Maybe 100 lbs rubble.....I "clean" once a year.
I have a 40 gallon and was looking at the Fluval 207. Hoping this solves my issues. My tank looks like 💩

IMO. Thats not going to have enough turn-over. All though rated 206GPH, after you put all the media in, your real GPH will be much lower, and start to get lower as media starts to get clogged.(Assuming you are using sponges and the other media). Keep in mind the dead flow areas created by rock. Then you will be in search for powerheads...etc. Again, just from past experience, you are better of with a bigger pump them one suggested for a tank. I would go for a 407 if this was my tank......I always try for 10x turnover.

IMO. Thats not going to have enough turn-over. All though rated 206GPH, after you put all the media in, your real GPH will be much lower, and start to get lower as media starts to get clogged.(Assuming you are using sponges and the other media). Keep in mind the dead flow areas created by rock. Then you will be in search for powerheads...etc. Again, just from past experience, you are better of with a bigger pump them one suggested for a tank. I would go for a 407 if this was my tank......I always try for 10x turnover.
Got it, thanks!

Would you recommend running the skimmer along with the canister or just one over the other?

I dont remember your bioload etc.....but if you have a skimmer, then use it also..is it HOB or sump skimmer? If sump, then why running a canister?.....see how this is becoming a circle.....IMO, just trim the plastic edge so the overflow sits right....90% of your problems will go away.

I wasn’t comfortable enough trimming the plastic so I took the HOB overflow off and got rid of the sump, hung the skimmer in the DT. I was trying to decide either or with the canister filter but already have a slimmer so thought I’d ask if both would be useful or just use one over the other, if I fact ended up buying the canister filter

2 clowns, 1 Royal Gramma, and some hermits

Nice ....how do you like it? I have a IceCap K3-250 HOB I use. Got a great deal on it direct from Coralvue....less them $220 delivered.....

Back