Sump help

When you say a small amount of food, can you quantify that?

Is he skimmer collecting dark green gunk?
Smaller than a pea size portion of a variety frozen food. The skimmer does collect greenish brown stuff but also likes to overflow regardless how many times I mess with the dial. It’s also on a stand. I don’t know if it’s just a garage skimmer or it’s just my luck with something else not working properly

"It’s like there isn’t s test kit for whatever "........Send it for a ICP test....
I've found that LFS water is not always as great as they claim it to be.

@bean: Re: High Phos in new tank. Its possible. Leeching from "new" Live Rock. The rock OP in original tank pix looks like Fiji, which as we know hasn't been imported for at least 5 years. So its most likely rock that LFS got from a reefer exiting out of hobby....

anyway...just my .02cents

"It’s like there isn’t s test kit for whatever "........Send it for a ICP test....
I've found that LFS water is not always as great as they claim it to be.

@bean: Re: High Phos in new tank. Its possible. Leeching from "new" Live Rock. The rock OP in original tank pix looks like Fiji, which as we know hasn't been imported for at least 5 years. So its most likely rock that LFS got from a reefer exiting out of hobby....

anyway...just my .02cents
👆🏼this I have been considering, not knowing is driving me crazy!

@JohnL
I have once..but only for the ICP test
1682444063884.png

:ROFLMAO:😜

Any updates Joy?
Soooo…I’m thinking it’s my light. I’m trying to find a place that rents out a PAR meter.

Am I losing it or did you just plug in the damn light back in the day?! I don’t even think smart phones were a thing back then…this is also me at the moment…..😂

Attachments

• F4471967-E8A4-439E-94B8-80B592401ED1.jpeg
    F4471967-E8A4-439E-94B8-80B592401ED1.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Soooo…I’m thinking it’s my light. I’m trying to find a place that rents out a PAR meter.

Am I losing it or did you just plug in the damn light back in the day?! I don’t even think smart phones were a thing back then…this is also me at the moment…..😂
:ROFLMAO: Yeah, when adding new corals back in the day. Add them to the bottom of the tank and slowly move them up the rock work to acclimate to the light.

Bulk Reef Supply will rent you one.
Not anymore...

They Sell you one with a $100 restocking fee or some crap...

Best bet would be to cozy up to a local reef club and/or put the word out at the LFSs that you would be willing to rent theirs or a customer's that has one.

Is it needed? I don't think so. I will have to go back and look at what lights you have, but softies don't really need all that much.

They Sell you one with a $100 restocking fee or some crap...

Best bet would be to cozy up to a local reef club and/or put the word out at the LFSs that you would be willing to rent theirs or a customer's that has one.

Is it needed? I don't think so. I will have to go back and look at what lights you have, but softies don't really need all that much.
That’s the problem, I’m wondering if it’s too much. Maybe not, just not understanding what would kill a coral almost immediately like that. I have 2 Hydra 32 HD

I think the sweet spot for Hydra is about 12" above the water. Good par, smooths hot spots.

At that height, the lights will cover about 24x24 footprint for LPS and Softies - you have two of them over a 40 (breeder?) so more like 15x15 with will work for SPS as well.

Soft corals don't often die quickly due to low light. LPS can be picky, but at too high a light, they may not fully extend but usually don't just melt away. Same with too low light and LPS - they will usually overextend trying to get as much surface area as possible, but dies slowely, not melt away.

So when LPS or softies melt away, it is usually something to do with water quality, disease or extreme flow that damages them. I doubt you have extreme flow or light that is way too extreme on one end or the other.

What is still alive - thriving or struggling?

I think the sweet spot for Hydra is about 12" above the water. Good par, smooths hot spots.

At that height, the lights will cover about 24x24 footprint for LPS and Softies - you have two of them over a 40 (breeder?) so more like 15x15 with will work for SPS as well.

Soft corals don't often die quickly due to low light. LPS can be picky, but at too high a light, they may not fully extend but usually don't just melt away. Same with too low light and LPS - they will usually overextend trying to get as much surface area as possible, but dies slowely, not melt away.

So when LPS or softies melt away, it is usually something to do with water quality, disease or extreme flow that damages them. I doubt you have extreme flow or light that is way too extreme on one end or the other.

What is still alive - thriving or struggling?
I only tried one coral and it died within 2 days. Checked water parameters yesterday and my nitrates were 10, phosphates were 0.25. Cal is 460, mag up to 1360. None of my other parameters have changed since my last post. Fish are doing great, hermit crabs are all fine as well

Back