Sunbrite Slimline LED Info & Par Readings

Yes; however, there's a fix. I chose the wide mounting bracket because I think it looks better than the narrow mounting bracket. My tank has an overflow so mounting thd light on the tank was not going to work. So, I screwed two pieces of 3/4" wood together (one sticking 2 1/2" above the other. I then velcro'd the wood to the back of the tank and mounted the light on that. Since my tank is 15" tall, I made the wood height 14" tall which lowers the light a little and hides the mounting screws.

If you do that, the light should sit right over your tank and not stick past it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't think it could support clams and sps very well in that large of a spread. You would have to keep your sps, clams up at the top and in the center.MHO

The guy in MI tested them and said the par was about the same as his main tank, which used the Sunbrite T10 tubes. And he's been growing sps under them for 2 years I think. Some huge colonies too!

When is this fixture gonna be available and where can it be bought online?

Thx

<b>CHANGES COMING TO THE BASE MODEL</b> Recieved additional information on the new version from SunBrite on the next generation Slimline LED base model.

The LEDs have a new layout on the REGULAR Slim line:

1. 7 x Cree XPG white. 3 x 440nm, 2 x470nm.

2. All LEDs will spread out more even throughout the panel/unit.

3. A standard timer is built in to the remote control unit, once you press it the clock will set at 12.00PM.

4. Sunrise will starts at 6.00am, and will turn on 1 led every 15min starting with 440nm>470nm>white.

5. Sunset starts at 5.00 pm, starting to shut down the white LEDs every 15min. White> 470> 440.

6. When all the LEDs are off, it will jump to the moon light mode automatically. Only the 440 and 470 become active at app 0.1 watt each.

7. Remote control:

Button A: clock setting. Press it once, set the clock at 12.00PM
Button B: demo mode, it runs the sunrise to sunset once.
Button C: dimmer
Button D: brighter

The unit will cover a 20" x 20" area very nicely.

<b>SLIMLINE "S"</b> will function the same way. 18 LEDs, 10 x white, 4 x 440 and 4 x 470.

When is this fixture gonna be available and where can it be bought online?

Thx

The Slimline Basic Model can be purchased on-line at SunBrite or Aquarium Specialty that I know of. SunBrite website also gives stores that carry them that might be near you. The "S" version should be hitting stores now, you will need to call and ask.

i really think its a sleek looking design for a nice price, i am interested in this for my tank which is 24x24x18 but the tank is made out of 1" thick acrylic so its probably closer to 22x22x17. I am planning on running a 2-3" sand bed and keeping SPS. Think this light will get the job done?

Just curious if this unit could be run on a RLK with the RKM-ALC module in the advanced lighting mode ?

Just curious if this unit could be run on a RLK with the RKM-ALC module in the advanced lighting mode ?

As I understand, if you set your RKL to come on at 'x' time and off at 'x' time then the light will do the rest of the work, i.e. one LED coming on every 15 min to ramp up and ramp down. Refer to the details at the top of the page as to how that works. That said, if you need to free up an outlet, plug this direct into an regular socket and the light will do the work.

i really think its a sleek looking design for a nice price, i am interested in this for my tank which is 24x24x18 but the tank is made out of 1" thick acrylic so its probably closer to 22x22x17. I am planning on running a 2-3" sand bed and keeping SPS. Think this light will get the job done?

The "S" model (18 LEDs) is the fixture you want given the footprint of the tank. As far as lighting f/SPS, I don't have PAR numbers for the new fixture. Consider the PAR numbers for the basic model on page 1 to get an idea of what can be done with the base model. I would think some SPS high in the tank would be fine.

do you think S can support clam and sps? for 20x20x20

I would think yes; depending on placement in the tank.

TY Kenny

I will look into checking the vendors for the updated version . Gonna put it on 20 X 20 X 10H NANO cube . I plan on connecting it to my RKL without needing an ALC to see how that works out , Hopefully this will be enough light for SPS dominant since the tank is 10 inches tall .

Sweet! We need lots of pics! The guy I referenced earlier with the T10 tubes just put up a nano with a Slimline.

nano-FS.jpg

FS.jpg

Got the new S model otw .. Can't wait to play with it ..LOL ..
Thanks to Tim @ SB

mordibv, did you find out if it could be hooked to a RKL? does it affect the functionality of the lights internal programming?

Sweet! We need lots of pics! The guy I referenced earlier with the T10 tubes just put up a nano with a Slimline. [/IMG]

reefdude135, thanks for sharing. now folks can see the silver model with the narrow mounting bracket.

mordibv, did you find out if it could be hooked to a RKL? does it affect the functionality of the lights internal programming?

Kenny,

Tim @ SB stated they bypassed that option with the S model .They made it totally stand alone as such . see below

It sets and internal clock @ 6 am then ramps up 1 led at a time until all of them are on @ 1 pm . Then @ 5 or 9 pm (can't remember ) it starts ramping down 1 @ a time then flips over to moonlight mode with 4 blue leds until the dawn cycle starts again .

He stated I should be able to reset to a certain brightness and color and it should retain that setting . I am guessing it has a internal program writing to a eprom/rom like the old dish units could be hacked .

HTH .. I should have had the unit today but they screwed up my information so there were security issues with my card .It never got shipped . I should see the unit soon by weds evening since i had it sent overnight . It is coming through Exotic Aquarium via SB .

I am going to the local lfs here to pick a current pink/rose flexible strip so I can run it with the moonlight mode for a nice contrast and pop . I ordered that Monday should be here weds afternoon .

I did ask if it had a few pink/rose leds in the unit it would make it more appealling . If it were me I would remove two of the whites for the pink/rose .

I didn't want to void the warranty hence ordering the pink/rose strip .

The S model will only come in black .

18 leds @ 2.77 watts for a total of a 50 watt unit .

reefdude135, thanks for sharing. now folks can see the silver model with the narrow mounting bracket.

I just picked up one of the new Slimline S today for my Solana 34 (20X20X20 cube).

While I think the lights & colors look great, I have a few issues:

I haven't been able to figure out a way to mount it using the bracket. When I mount it on the back glass, the back row of LED's is half over the rear sump compartment, and the lights only reach about halfway forward in the tank. I toyed with mounting it on the plastic wall between the rear sump and the tank itself, but then the aluminum (I think) bracket is partially in the water, and I can't see how that is ok, given that aluminum will oxidize in salt water and submerging metal with electrical circuits just seems like a bad idea. Plus, mounting on the sump wall means the bracket shows in the tank, which is kind of a bummer. Am I missing something?

On the other hand, at the moment I have it just sitting on the glass top on some rubber feet, and I think that looks slick and might work just fine. It also lowers the light by about 3", which may be good for light penetration. There is a bit of light fall-off on the edge at this height, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing, as it leaves more places for corals that don't like so much light, and the fall-off isn't very noticeable visually. Thinking maybe slightly taller legs might be the answer.

Also, the light doesn't really come with directions. All it says is button A: timer setting, B: test mod, C: white LED cycle, D: Blue LED cycle.

So aside from the initial post here, I have no idea what "timer setting" means or what the timer cycle is. I'm also unclear if the timer will cycle up to the color that I previously picked, or if it will ramp all the way up to full lights. Kind of useless to be able to choose the color if it doesn't go to that setting during the dawn-to-dusk timing, and I'm not sure what actually happens then.

And, if it's in timer mode and you change the lights, what happens on the next light cycle?

If anyone has an idea the answers to any of these questions, I'm super curious! I'm going to write Sunbrite and see if I can get more clear answers.

Anyhow, The verdict is still out for me.

~Dawn

As the lights become more popular, there will be different ideas on what tanks these lights will fit on and how they mount. Just wanted to give everyone a visual of how I mounted mine. I made a wood bracket the same width as the light and velcro'd it to be the back of my tank [pic below]. This did a few things for me, 1) enabled me to use the wide mounting bracket since my tank has an internal overflow, 2) enabled me to lower the light just enough where you do not see the screws of the mount, and 3) pulled the light back enough to be centered over my rock work.

Keep in mind, my tank is a 15x15x15 cube and is sitting kitty corner in my office, so the wood bracket is not visible.

00e73428.jpg

I just picked up one of the new Slimline S today for my Solana 34 (20X20X20 cube).

While I think the lights & colors look great, I have a few issues:

I haven't been able to figure out a way to mount it using the bracket. When I mount it on the back glass, the back row of LED's is half over the rear sump compartment, and the lights only reach about halfway forward in the tank. I toyed with mounting it on the plastic wall between the rear sump and the tank itself, but then the aluminum (I think) bracket is partially in the water, and I can't see how that is ok, given that aluminum will oxidize in salt water and submerging metal with electrical circuits just seems like a bad idea. Plus, mounting on the sump wall means the bracket shows in the tank, which is kind of a bummer. Am I missing something?

On the other hand, at the moment I have it just sitting on the glass top on some rubber feet, and I think that looks slick and might work just fine. It also lowers the light by about 3", which may be good for light penetration. There is a bit of light fall-off on the edge at this height, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing, as it leaves more places for corals that don't like so much light, and the fall-off isn't very noticeable visually. Thinking maybe slightly taller legs might be the answer.

Also, the light doesn't really come with directions. All it says is button A: timer setting, B: test mod, C: white LED cycle, D: Blue LED cycle.

So aside from the initial post here, I have no idea what "timer setting" means or what the timer cycle is. I'm also unclear if the timer will cycle up to the color that I previously picked, or if it will ramp all the way up to full lights. Kind of useless to be able to choose the color if it doesn't go to that setting during the dawn-to-dusk timing, and I'm not sure what actually happens then.

And, if it's in timer mode and you change the lights, what happens on the next light cycle?

If anyone has an idea the answers to any of these questions, I'm super curious! I'm going to write Sunbrite and see if I can get more clear answers.

Anyhow, The verdict is still out for me.

~Dawn

Dawn,

Can you measure the from the front of the fixture to the back of the last set of LEDs? If you look on page 1, I did a measurement of my fixture and they all 3 rows are in the forward 5". If your LEDs are installed the same way then after mounting to your back glass the LEDs should stick about 3-4" past the inner wall of your Solano.

As for the lighting cycle, you should be able to set the lights the way you want them (color and intensity) using C & D. After setting them, you need to plan when you want the lights to begin coming on and press A 6 hours prior. Example, if I want my lights to begin coming on (1 LED at a time; every 15 min) at 6pm, then I would press A at 12pm. I'm not 100% sure that's the right answer; however, that's the way I understood it based on feedback from the vendor.

slim line

slim line

I just got mine at Exotic Aqurium with the rimless tank today. Couldn't be happier!!

The color looks perfect with the XP 3 watt, it cover the entire tank without any dead spots.
Picture370.jpg

Picture369.jpg

Picture371.jpg

Picture368.jpg

Back