Switching to T5 Question

Reefpilot11

So I never really thought I would be doing this but I think I am going to bite the bullet. The ATI units look really sleek and that's something I really like. But my plan is to swap my reefbreeders with my girlfriends kessil a350's to supplement the t5 fixture. Now what I need to know is should I get the 36" or 48" for my 4 foot tank?

I don't know what you "should" do, but I used 2 36" t5's because the 48's didn't fit inside the hood. I personally think its just fine. I dont have much on the outer edges so i don't think I lost much. But that being said, if the 48's had fit, i would have run them.

Most people do a foot shorter on the length due to not keeping much on the sides.

I think it really depends on what kind of corals you have as well. The unit a foot shorter will give you room for lower light corals on the edges.

I hung two Sunpower units last week a 60" unit over a 6' tank, mainly acros but some zoa and lps on the bottom and edges. The coverage is great, no dark spots on the edges.

The second was a 36" unit on a 3' tank, which will be all acro/milli. I went end to end on this new set up so I could grow acro anywhere in the tank.

I think you will like a 36" unit on a 4 foot tank. Try it about 10" off the waterline and adjust as needed. 10" is where I settled on my 60" unit.

I think it really depends on what kind of corals you have as well. The unit a foot shorter will give you room for lower light corals on the edges.

I hung two Sunpower units last week a 60" unit over a 6' tank, mainly acros but some zoa and lps on the bottom and edges. The coverage is great, no dark spots on the edges.

The second was a 36" unit on a 3' tank, which will be all acro/milli. I went end to end on this new set up so I could grow acro anywhere in the tank.

I think you will like a 36" unit on a 4 foot tank. Try it about 10" off the waterline and adjust as needed. 10" is where I settled on my 60" unit.

Sounds good! I will have kessils on either side as well.

Another thing to think about is the fact that ATI, the leader in T5 fixtures for years, only makes fixtures up to 5 feet...

^^^^^ because they only make 5 ft bulbs. Longer break to easy.

What happened to the nice donut she bought at the coral show?

Back