What's A Good LED System?

So, rocky trip, but I've finally got my ReeFi Uno 2.0s installed. I'm fiddling with the web settings now, but it looks fairly straight forward. Tomorrow, I'm hoping to get some PAR readings.

Anyway, it was rocky for a number of reasons:

1) The tank mounting units were out of stock when I ordered, so I had to wait five weeks for them to finally arrive (and clear Customs) and my lights to ship, then
2) The tank mount kit screws (to put the mounting kit together) weren't the right size (they were too short, so you could maybe get 1/4 turn to "catch" when trying to put the mounts together). Daniel offered to send out the right sized screws, but also provided a link to the screws on Amazon. I should have just taken him up on his offer to send screws, but I have Prime, so I figured I'd get them quicker if I ordered them myself (my bad). The link he sent had a box of 100 screws. I didn't need 100 screws, so I clicked to the box that said "20 count." Unfortunately, those screws weren't the same length as the ones in the 100 count box and were waaaay too long! :rolleyes: So, by trying to go fast, I ended up having to take longer because I then had to ask Daniel to send the correct screws. Then,
3) I got the screws, and went to assemble everything and the tank mount assembly instructions mentioned using some specific screws from the light hanging kit to attach the light to the tank mount adapter. Unfortunately, neither of my light packages had the hanging kits included. So, back to Daniel (again) to get the missing hanging kits.

After having the lights sitting on my hearth for almost a month, I was finally able to put them on the tank. Yay!

Daniel (owner) has been very helpful throughout. I think the lights will end up being great. Things have just been a bit more disorganized here at the beginning than I like.

Kevin

So, rocky trip, but I've finally got my ReeFi Uno 2.0s installed. I'm fiddling with the web settings now, but it looks fairly straight forward. Tomorrow, I'm hoping to get some PAR readings.

1) The tank mounting units were out of stock when I ordered, so I had to wait five weeks for them to finally arrive (and clear Customs) and my lights to ship, then
2) The tank mount kit screws (to put the mounting kit together) weren't the right size (they were too short, so you could maybe get 1/4 turn to "catch" when trying to put the mounts together). Daniel offered to send out the right sized screws, but also provided a link to the screws on Amazon. I should have just taken him up on his offer to send screws, but I have Prime, so I figured I'd get them quicker if I ordered them myself (my bad). The link he sent had a box of 100 screws. I didn't need 100 screws, so I clicked to the box that said "20 count." Unfortunately, those screws weren't the same length as the ones in the 100 count box and were waaaay too long! :rolleyes: So, by trying to go fast, I ended up having to take longer because I then had to ask Daniel to send the correct screws. Then,
3) I got the screws, and went to assemble everything and the tank mount assembly instructions mentioned using some specific screws from the light hanging kit to attach the light to the tank mount adapter. Unfortunately, neither of my light packages had the hanging kits included. So, back to Daniel (again) to get the missing hanging kits.

After having the lights sitting on my hearth for almost a month, I was finally able to put them on the tank. Yay!

Daniel (owner) has been very helpful throughout. I think the lights will end up being great. Things have just been a bit more disorganized here at the beginning than I like.

Kevin
Wow. I can’t say I’ve read an experience like that but glad that everything is or has gotten sorted out

Kevin
That's crazy Kevin. Glad you got it all sorted out.

Okay, took some PAR readings in my tank. Readings are approximate, because (a) I didn't have all the water movement off (but 3 out of 4 pumps is not bad!), and (b) my distance from the light source are guesstimates on my part, and even though I think I know the difference between 4 and 6 inches, you never know! :ROFLMAO:

The two ReeFi Uno 2.0 units are positioned 13 inches from the ends of my 48" tank, and 9.5 inches above the water line. I took two different wattage measurements - the 290 watt maximum on the program the lights come with, and the 540 watt maximum you can move the lights up to. I took 3 readings (left middle and right) at 3 depths (surface, 6" and tank bottom (about 20", when you account for the sand and the height of the sensor). I also took readings on the sand in both front corners.

Left (290/540) Middle (290/540) Right (290/540)

Surface 1100/1700 450/530 1200/1700

6" 760/1100 280/600 700/900

Bottom 300/500 250/450 370/630

Bottom left front corner: 180/330 Right front: 230/390

Some of the differences from one side to the other are the result of water movement and tank features (I have a huge cluster or RBTAs in the top/center of the tank).

Overall, I'm very impressed. The lowest readings I got today were higher than most of the readings I took in my tank when I had the AP700 running (185 watts).

Kevin

Okay, took some PAR readings in my tank. Readings are approximate, because (a) I didn't have all the water movement off (but 3 out of 4 pumps is not bad!), and (b) my distance from the light source are guesstimates on my part, and even though I think I know the difference between 4 and 6 inches, you never know! :ROFLMAO:

The two ReeFi Uno 2.0 units are positioned 13 inches from the ends of my 48" tank, and 9.5 inches above the water line. I took two different wattage measurements - the 290 watt maximum on the program the lights come with, and the 540 watt maximum you can move the lights up to. I took 3 readings (left middle and right) at 3 depths (surface, 6" and tank bottom (about 20", when you account for the sand and the height of the sensor). I also took readings on the sand in both front corners.

Left (290/540) Middle (290/540) Right (290/540)

Surface 1100/1700 450/530 1200/1700

6" 760/1100 280/600 700/900

Bottom 300/500 250/450 370/630

Bottom left front corner: 180/330 Right front: 230/390

Some of the differences from one side to the other are the result of water movement and tank features (I have a huge cluster or RBTAs in the top/center of the tank).

Overall, I'm very impressed. The lowest readings I got today were higher than most of the readings I took in my tank when I had the AP700 running (185 watts).

Kevin
So do you like the way they make your tank look?

Well, in the live and learn category...

I had spot checked the PAR produced by my new lights at different levels in my tank, but not really specifically where I intended to place various SPS frags. I had my system set to max out for two hours at 434 watts. Remembering my olden (VHO and MH) days, I figured for a 88 gallon tank, that's 4-5 watts per gallon, right?

Well, my first set of frags did not go well. They managed to hang on for about 10 days, then sloughed all flesh within a couple of days. Decided to pull out the PAR meter and see what the frags were really getting. The lowest light frag was getting 450 PAR, followed by one getting 800, one getting 950 and one getting 1050! :oops: Yikes! I guess I really shouldn't compare this lighting to the 2 x 250 MH setup I had over a 90 gallon tank!

I've dialed it back to 168 watts, and that produces 200, 350, 375 and 450 PAR (same placements as above). Much more workable (I think!). Part of my issue was the PAR readings I got from my AP700. That 185 watts only produced 1/3-1/2 of the PAR the 168 watts on the two ReeFi Uno 2.0s produces.

Live and learn - I hope!

Kevin

Dang some par monsters. One thing that may help, is to ask the person where you get your frags from what their par runs. Even the 450 may be too high at first.

Higher par measured directly underneath a fixtures does not necessarily mean a fixture puts out more par. I mean if a fixture puts out 300 par right under and 10 par two feet away. Another fixture puts out 250 under and 100 two feet away which puts out more par? This just tells me one has better spread and can be mounted closer to the water while the other needs to be higher and has more concentrated light which is better for a deeper tank..

Also higher par does not mean a good fixture. Par could be from totally wrong spectrum. Also the driver could be junk or the fixture just junk. I see so many go ahh look this fixture puts out high par but that does not mean quality.

I have tested the AP9x and it is no slouch.

Not saying the ReeFi is not a good fixture because it is. Probably the best bang for the money. It also comes with multiple reflectors for spread which no other fixture I know of does. He is also working on a new better reflector.

Honestly the ReeFi fixture has such a good price it is what people should just buy period and not screw around with this cheap crap out there. It has a huge beefy driver too.. My only complaint is the software is pretty generic and a little difficult to use. It has got better though. The other issue is someone who does not have a par meter can really nuke their tank with this fixture. I honestly wish he would release a second fixture that is cheaper with lower par. That much par really is not need for everyone.

The only other fixture I recommend anymore Kessil A360x. Mainly for those who do not want to have to deal with all the individual colors. It is simple and just works. Not cheap and not high par but it is so simple to use. I think all this adjustability in allot of these led fixtures is great for experienced people who understand lighting but for those who do not it just allows them a chance to mess something up.

I honestly run too many different lights on my systems. I am actually taking some of them down and need to stick with one light manufacturer. These apps for allot of them just stink and too many to remember how to use. For a while I wanted to test out a bunch of them but I just do not have the time.

Last edited:
I am so glad I bought the cheap crap.
IMG_6113.jpeg

Even the 450 may be too high at first.
Yeah, the "acclimation" mode with these lights let you set the percentage of final lighting you want to start with, and how many days you want to take to get there, then moves the lighting up an even amount over that number of days. Certainly didn't have that with MH (or VHO)!

Kevin

Part of my issue was the PAR readings I got from my AP700. That 185 watts only produced 1/3-1/2 of the PAR the 168 watts on the two ReeFi Uno 2.0s produces.
I realized I didn't explain this part well. Because I was getting such low PAR numbers from 185 watts of LED, I figured I needed to go higher with the new LEDs to get decent PAR. I was very, very wrong!

Kevin

Higher par measured directly underneath a fixtures does not necessarily mean a fixture puts out more par. I mean if a fixture puts out 300 par right under and 10 par two feet away. Another fixture puts out 250 under and 100 two feet away which puts out more par? This just tells me one has better spread and can be mounted closer to the water while the other needs to be higher and has more concentrated light which is better for a deeper tank..
While I agree with your statement in general, the PAR comparison numbers I got between the AP700 and the ReeFi Uno 2.0 were taken from the same areas, so reflectors/no reflectors/spread/whatever is not relevant - it's the amount of PAR corals mounted there are/were getting.

Kevin

Oh one positive (??) thing that happened by blasting my tank with light - every single RBTA clone I had split. Now I'm hoping they will get off the rocks and onto the walls of the tank so I can remove them! :rolleyes:

Kevin

Back