T. crocea and strombus maculatus

chewie

do any of you that keep clams (t. crocea in particular) also keep strombus grazers? have they ever bothered any of your clams? I had a crocea for 2 months and 1 week after adding kit from ipsf my precious crocea kicked the bucket!!! fine one day and the next all sucked in. I never saw any strombus near him, but turbo's would clean off his shell every now and then. any ideas????

Re: T. crocea and strombus maculatus

chewie said:
do any of you that keep clams (t. crocea in particular) also keep strombus grazers?
Yes
have they ever bothered any of your clams? I had a crocea for 2 months and 1 week after adding kit from ipsf my precious crocea kicked the bucket!!! fine one day and the next all sucked in.
I have never seen them hurt anything in the tank.

I feel for you. I lost two crocea clams within a few days of each other a few weeks ago. Both were in the tank for about 4 months. I suspect starvation.

Here's a picture of one of them the night before it died.
DSCN0874.jpg

I guess that's what i figured. thank you guys for speedy response!!! I guess I'll rack my brain untill i find out more on what caused it. JohnL that crocea is almost identical to the one i had. beautiful clam!!! too bad yours died too. did you figure out what went wrong with yours?

How big was your clam?

Were you feeding any phytoplankton?

What kind of lighting was it receiving?

I fed DT every other day per instructions i doubled the dosage. he was about 3"plus and was under a 400w 10k in a 29 gal, 4in dsb, 40lbs lr, calc 400, alk 3.5, nitrate at or at least 10, the tank is almost 5 months since adding salt, dsb is doing pretty good and I've been feeding it once some times twice a day to keep some nitrates.

Back